We study the effects of oxygen pressure in patients treated with hyperbaric oxygen therapy, and healthy humans in extreme environments.
Hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT) is a clinical method used for 14 different diagnoses where oxygen is given at 240-280 kPa (compared to breathing room air ~21kPa or breathing pure oxygen ~100kPa). The chamber is located at the Karolinska University Hospital in Solna.
A Randomized, Controlled, Open Label, Multicentre Clinical Trial to explore Safety and Efficacy of Hyperbaric Oxygen for preventing ICU admission, Morbidity and Mortality in Adult Patients With COVID-19
Coordinating investigator Anders Kjellberg
Sponsor representative Peter Lindholm
Contact: Anders Kjellberg
Read more about the clinical trial Safety and Efficacy of Hyperbaric Oxygen for ARDS in Patients With COVID-19 (COVID-19-HBO)
Randomised, controlled, open label, multicentre clinical trial to explore safety and efficacy of hyperbaric oxygen for preventing ICU admission, morbidity and mortality in adult patients with COVID-19
Kjellberg A, Douglas J, Pawlik M T, Kraus M, Oscarsson N, Zheng X et al
BMJ Open, protocol
Can hyperbaric oxygen safely serve as an anti-inflammatory treatment for COVID-19?
Kjellberg A, De Maio A, Lindholm P
Med Hypotheses 2020 Nov;144():110224
Hyperbaric Oxygen for Treatment of Long COVID syndrome; A Randomized, Placebo-Controlled, Double-Blind, Phase II Clinical Trial
Principal Investigator Anders Kjellberg
Contact Person: Anders Kjellberg
Coordinating Investigator: Peter Lindholm
Biomarkers in HBOT
PhD-project for Anders Kjellberg.
Main supervisor P. Lindholm.
Supervisors K.Rodriguez-Wallberge S.Catrina, X.Zheng and E.Weitzberg
Biomarkers for oxidative stress and HIF1 upregulation during Hyperbaric Oxygen and Ischemia Reperfusion Injury- a Translational project on Hyperbaric oxygen for Preconditioning.
Rich-Art study group
Local PI KI Anders Kjellberg. PI Niclas Oscarsson.
Radiation-induced cystitis treated with hyperbaric oxygen therapy (RICH-ART): a randomised, controlled, phase 2-3 trial.
Oscarsson N, Müller B, Rosén A, Lodding P, Mölne J, Giglio D, et al
Lancet Oncol. 2019 Nov;20(11):1602-1614
Imaging and the lung in diving medicine
From Ocean Deep to Mountain High: Similar Computed Tomography Findings in Immersion and High-Altitude Pulmonary Edema.
Lindholm P, Swenson ER, Martínez-Jiménez S, Guo HH
Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med. 2018 10;198(8):1088-1089
Transient ischemic attacks from arterial gas embolism induced by glossopharyngeal insufflation and a possible method to identify individuals at risk.
Schiffer TA, Lindholm P
Eur. J. Appl. Physiol. 2013 Mar;113(3):803-10
A fluoroscopic and laryngoscopic study of glossopharyngeal insufflation and exsufflation.
Lindholm P, Norris CM, Braver JM, Jacobson F, Ferrigno M
Respir Physiol Neurobiol 2009 Jun;167(2):189-94
Pulmonary edema and hemoptysis after breath-hold diving at residual volume.
Lindholm P, Ekborn A, Oberg D, Gennser M
J. Appl. Physiol. 2008 Apr;104(4):912-7
Studies on inspiratory and expiratory glossopharyngeal breathing in breath-hold divers employing magnetic resonance imaging and spirometry.
Lindholm P, Nyrén S
Eur. J. Appl. Physiol. 2005 Aug;94(5-6):646-51
Hypoxia and hyperoxia
Aerobic efficiency is associated with the improvement in maximal power output during acute hyperoxia.
Manselin TA, Södergård O, Larsen FJ, Lindholm P
Physiol Rep 2017 Jan;5(2):
Alveolar gas composition before and after maximal breath-holds in competitive divers.
Lindholm P, Lundgren CE
Undersea Hyperb Med ;33(6):463-7
Aggravated hypoxia during breath-holds after prolonged exercise.
Lindholm P, Gennser M
Eur. J. Appl. Physiol. 2005 Mar;93(5-6):701-7
Oxygen-conserving effects of apnea in exercising men.
Lindholm P, Sundblad P, Linnarsson D
J. Appl. Physiol. 1999 Dec;87(6):2122-7
Magnetic resonance imaging in pulmonary embolism (Dr Lindholms radiology research)
PhD-students: Roberto Vargas-Paris, Koshiar Medson and Deepa Gopalan.
Abnormal Pulmonary Venous Filling: An Adjunct Feature in the Computed Tomography Pulmonary Angiogram Assessment of Chronic Thromboembolic Pulmonary Hypertension.
Gopalan D, Nordgren-Rogberg A, Le EPV, Pavey H, Tarkin J, Nyrén S, et al
J Am Heart Assoc 2020 Nov;9(21):e018075
Detection of pulmonary embolism using repeated MRI acquisitions without respiratory gating: a preliminary study.
Nyrén S, Nordgren Rogberg A, Vargas Paris R, Bengtsson B, Westerlund E, Lindholm P
Acta Radiol 2017 Mar;58(3):272-278
Do radiologists detect chronic thromboembolic disease on computed tomography?
Rogberg AN, Gopalan D, Westerlund E, Lindholm P
Acta Radiol 2019 Nov;60(11):1576-1583
Primary diagnosis of pulmonary embolism with unenhanced MRI for patients not eligible for CTPA: Clinical outcome.
Medson K, Vargas-Paris R, Nordgren-Rogberg A, Sigbergsdottir A, Nyrén S, Lindholm P
Eur J Radiol Open 2019 ;6():315-319
Support our research
Make a donation to our research
Make a donation to our research
Your support means a lot to the success of research. This allows us to go further in our efforts to improve human health through research and education.
For example, you can make a donation via Swish or Bank giro.
- Peter Lindholm, MD, PhD, Research group leader, Associate professor (Docent) in physiology and radiology, senior consultant in radiology, previously at Karolinska University Hospital. Currently professor at UCSD.
- Anders Kjellberg, MD, DESA, EDIC, Doktorand/PhD-Student, ICU Consultant (Biträdande överläkare), Head of Unit for Hyperbaric medicine, Perioperative Medicine and Intensive Care (PMI).
- Koshiar Medson, Doctoral student.
- Lovisa Liwenborg Medical student.
- Kenny Rodriguez-Wallberg, Professor, Department of Oncology-Pathology, Karolinska Institutet.
- Nicklas Oscarsson, MD, Sahlgrenska Academy, Gothemburg.
- Sergiu-Bogdan Catrina, Lecturer/senior physician, Research group leader of the group Growth and Metabolism, Department of Molecular Medicine and Surgery, Karolinska Insitutet.
- Bo-Michael Bellander, Lecturer senior, adjunct, Department of Clinical Neuroscience, Karolinska Institutet.
- Xiao-Wei Zheng, Senior lab manager, Department of Molecular Medicine and Surgery, Karolinska Institutet.
- Agneta Larsson, Affiliated to research, Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, Karolinska Institutet.
- Eddie Weitzberg, Professor/senior physician of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, Karolinska Institutet.
- Michael Nekludov, MD, PhD, postdoc, Department of Oncology-Pathology, Karolinska Institutet.
- Malin Nygren-Bonnier, Associate Professor and Senior Lecturer, Division of Physiotherapy, Department of NVS, Karolinska Institutet and the Medical Unit of Occupational Therapy and Physiotherapy at the Karolinska University Hospital.
- Judith Bruchfeld, Affiliated to research, Department of Medicine at Karolinska Institutet.
- Marcus Ståhlberg, Affiliated to research, Department of Medicine at Karolinska Institutet.
- Mikael Runold, Överläkare Karolinska Universitetssjukhuset
- Anna Norrby-Teglund, MD, PhD, Professor, Center for Infectious Medicine, Karolinska Institutet, and Karolinska University Hospital.
- Folke Lind, M.D., Ph.D., FUHM, Assistant Professor (retired), Karolinska Insitutet, Physician Emeritus, Karolinska University hospital, Senior Consultant Hyperbaric Medicine