Ernest Arenas Group
Midbrain dopaminergic neuron development
- Characterizing the molecular cascades that regulate midbrain stem cell behavior as well as dopaminergic neurogenesis, differentiation and subtype specification.
- The functions of Wnts, their receptors and their signaling pathways, with focus on new components of the Wnt/PCP signaling.
- The function of nuclear receptors and their ligands in midbrain dopaminergic neuron development.
- The identification of novel factors by single cell transcriptomic, proteomic and lipidomic approaches.
- Control of midbrain dopaminergic neurogenesis by basic-helix-loop-helix transcription factors.
Stem cells and direct reprogramming for Parkinson’s disease (PD) cell replacement therapy and drug discovery
- Improving protocols for the efficient differentiation of human stem cells (NES, ES, and iPS cells) into substantia nigra A9 dopaminergic neurons for cell replacement therapy and drug discovery.
- Develop 2D and 3D in vitro models of midbrain tissue for PD drug discovery using human NES/ES/iPS cells with PD mutations and isogenic controls.
- Examine the role of Wnt signaling in the pathogenesis of Parkinson’s disease.
- Improve protocols for the direct in vitro reprogramming of somatic cells into substantia nigra A9 dopaminergic neurons.
- Develop a novel cell replacement therapy for PD based on the direct in vivo reprogramming of striatal astrocytes in situ, into functional A9 dopaminergic neurons.
Induction of functional dopamine neurons from human astrocytes in vitro and mouse astrocytes in a Parkinson's disease model.
Nat. Biotechnol. 2017 May;35(5):444-452
Molecular Diversity of Midbrain Development in Mouse, Human, and Stem Cells.
Cell 2016 Oct;167(2):566-580.e19
Supporting data and visualization
A PBX1 transcriptional network controls dopaminergic neuron development and is impaired in Parkinson's disease.
EMBO J. 2016 09;35(18):1963-78
Oligodendrocyte heterogeneity in the mouse juvenile and adult central nervous system.
Science 2016 Jun;352(6291):1326-1329
Liver X receptors and cholesterol metabolism: role in ventral midbrain development and neurodegeneration.
F1000Prime Rep 2015 ;7():37
How to make a midbrain dopaminergic neuron.
Development 2015 Jun;142(11):1918-36
Cholestenoic acids regulate motor neuron survival via liver X receptors.
J. Clin. Invest. 2014 Nov;124(11):4829-42
Wnt signaling in midbrain dopaminergic neuron development and regenerative medicine for Parkinson's disease.
J Mol Cell Biol 2014 Feb;6(1):42-53
Cxcl12/Cxcr4 signaling controls the migration and process orientation of A9-A10 dopaminergic neurons.
Development 2013 Nov;140(22):4554-64
Wnt5a cooperates with canonical Wnts to generate midbrain dopaminergic neurons in vivo and in stem cells.
Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2013 Feb;110(7):E602-10
Brain endogenous liver X receptor ligands selectively promote midbrain neurogenesis.
Nat. Chem. Biol. 2013 Feb;9(2):126-33
Ernest Arenas - Professor
Daniel Gyllborg - PhD Student
Kaneyasu Nishimura - Senior researcher
Alena Salasova - PhD Student
Carmen Salto - Senior researcher
Enrique Toledo - Postdoc
Dawei Zhang - Postdoc
Please, send your inquiries by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and include the following information:
- CV with publications and research experience
- A brief outline of research interests