Federico Pietrocola's group
In the lab, we aim to elucidate the role of cellular responses to stress (including, but not limited to, autophagy and cellular senescence) in the maintenance/alteration of tissue homeostasis.
In particular, we are interested in understanding how pharmacological or genetic perturbations of these pathways influence the pathogenesis and the response to therapy in settings of cancer and other ageing-associated disorders (i.e. tissue fibrosis, metabolic syndrome). Our research activities will be specifically focused on:
- Characterisation of Senescence-Associated Immune Checkpoints (SAIC): role of the immune system in the persistence versus clearance of senescent cells in the tumour stroma.
- Immune-senolysis: designing novel strategies to promote the elimination of senescent cells by immune cells endowed with cytotoxic activities under conditions of fibrotic damage.
- Metabolic modulation of autophagy by Caloric Restriction Mimetics (CRMs): effect on metabolic syndromes and anti-cancer therapy.
Federico PietrocolaGroup leader and Assistant Professor
Ph.D. in Molecular Oncology from Paris XI University (Le Kremlin-Bicetre, France) 2015. After a two-years post-doc in the lab. of Pr. Guido Kroemer at Cordeliers Research Center in Paris ( France), I joined the lab of Manuel Serrano at the Institute of Research in Biomedicine (Barcelona, Spain) in 2018 upon an EMBO Long-Term Fellowship. In 2020, I became a PI at KI.
Looking for a Msc or postdoc position?
We are currently looking for a postdoc.
Please contact Federico Pietrocola for more information.
- Chemical activation of SAT1 corrects diet-induced metabolic syndrome.
Castoldi F., Hyvönen MT., Durand S., et. al.
Cell Death Differ. 2020. IN PRESS
- The scent of death: a metabolic goodbye signal emitted by dying cells.
Kroemer G, Pietrocola F
Cell Death Differ. 2020 Apr;():
- Identification and characterization of Cardiac Glycosides as senolytic compounds.
Triana-Martínez F, Picallos-Rabina P, Da Silva-Álvarez S, Pietrocola F, Llanos S, Rodilla V, et al
Nat Commun 2019 10;10(1):4731
- Comprehensive autophagy evaluation in cardiac disease models.
Kaludercic N, Maiuri MC, Kaushik S, Fernández ÁF, de Bruijn J, Castoldi F, et al
Cardiovasc. Res. 2020 Mar;116(3):483-504
- α-Ketoglutarate inhibits autophagy.
Baracco EE, Castoldi F, Durand S, Enot DP, Tadic J, Kainz K, et al
Aging (Albany NY) 2019 06;11(11):3418-3431
- Lysosomal trapping of palbociclib and its functional implications.
Llanos S, Megias D, Blanco-Aparicio C, Hernández-Encinas E, Rovira M, Pietrocola F, et al
Oncogene 2019 05;38(20):3886-3902
- Systemic autophagy in the therapeutic response to anthracycline-based chemotherapy.
Castoldi F, Vacchelli E, Zitvogel L, Maiuri MC, Pietrocola F, Kroemer G
Oncoimmunology 2019 ;8(1):e1498285
- Aspirin Recapitulates Features of Caloric Restriction.
Pietrocola F, Castoldi F, Markaki M, Lachkar S, Chen G, Enot DP, et al
Cell Rep 2018 02;22(9):2395-2407
- Spermidine in health and disease.
Madeo F, Eisenberg T, Pietrocola F, Kroemer G
Science 2018 Jan;359(6374):
- Nutrition, inflammation and cancer.
Zitvogel L, Pietrocola F, Kroemer G
Nat. Immunol. 2017 Jul;18(8):843-850
- Metabolic effects of fasting on human and mouse blood in vivo.
Pietrocola F, Demont Y, Castoldi F, Enot D, Durand S, Semeraro M, et al
Autophagy 2017 Mar;13(3):567-578
- Caloric Restriction Mimetics Enhance Anticancer Immunosurveillance.
Pietrocola F, Pol J, Vacchelli E, Rao S, Enot DP, Baracco EE, et al
Cancer Cell 2016 07;30(1):147-160
- Acetyl coenzyme A: a central metabolite and second messenger.
Pietrocola F, Galluzzi L, Bravo-San Pedro JM, Madeo F, Kroemer G
Cell Metab. 2015 Jun;21(6):805-21
- Metabolic control of autophagy.
Galluzzi L, Pietrocola F, Levine B, Kroemer G
Cell 2014 Dec;159(6):1263-76
- Regulation of autophagy by cytosolic acetyl-coenzyme A.
Mariño G, Pietrocola F, Eisenberg T, Kong Y, Malik SA, Andryushkova A, et al
Mol. Cell 2014 Mar;53(5):710-25