Organisation and management at the Department of Medical Biochemistry and Biophysics (MBB)
Information about the organisation of and management at the Department of Medical Biochemistry and Biophysics (MBB).
Head of Department
The department is led by a chairperson appointed by the President for a period of five years. From Sep 1, 2019, the Head of Department is professor Sten Linnarsson. The divisions not listed below contact Sten Linnarsson per usual.
Deputy Head of Department
Björn Högberg is Deputy Head of Department, which means that Björn stands in for the Head of Department when the Head of Department is not on duty or is otherwise unavailable with the same decision-making authority as the Head of Department.
Björn is also responsible for the divisions of Molecular Neurobiology and Molecular Metabolism when it comes to:
- Signing agreements after review by the legal department, but not for decisions that can't be decided by Head of Department or agreements that are to be signed jointly with officials from the Central Administration.
- Signing green light and admission of doctoral students.
- Signing procurement documents, application for grants, letters of support for applications, ethics applications, letters of recommendation for docentur, time reports and financial reporting.
- Signing in Prisma
Assistant Heads of Department
Gonçalo Castelo-Branco is Assistant Head of Department with responsibility for the divisions of Biomaterial, Genome Biology and Functional Genomics with regard to the above points. In addition to this, the Assistant Head of Department is also responsible for signing documents regarding scholarships for the entire department.
Elias Arnér is Assistant Head of Department with strategic responsibility for issues related to undergraduate and postgraduate education.
One week notice
Contact each person in matters concerning your division and remember to have advance notice of at least one week.
Consists of the department leadership and meets weekly to handle day-to-day issues. The leadership group is advisory and final decisions are taken by the chairperson. Current members are as follows:
Additional participants are invited as needed, including (on rolling schedules) the following:
- Deputy chairperson for education
- Head of graduate education
- Head of undergraduate education
- Heads of unit
- Student representatives
- Postdoc representatives
- Faculty chairperson
The department Senate consists of the full professors. It is designed to ensure the quality of decision-making related to recruitment of professors. The senate performs three major tasks:
- Selecting a Senate chairperson, who leads the meetings
- Creation of new professorships, in accordance with the principles and guidelines set out by the Faculty, after proposal from a professor or a division head.
- Periodic review of the progress of non-professor PIs
The Senate requires 8 members present for a quorum.
The senate elects a chairperson by simple majority, with a mandate of one year. The same person can be elected chair for a maximum of three consecutive years.
The Faculty consists of all the Principal Investigators. It is designed to ensure the quality of decision-making related to recruitment and promotion. The faculty performs these major tasks:
- Setting out the principles and guidelines for
- recruitment of principal investigators at all levels
- promotion of principal investigators
- applications for docent
- creation of new professorships
- assessment of PIs
- Selecting a faculty chairperson, who then also serves as faculty representative in the Executive Council
- Providing its consent to recruitments and promotions of principal investigators — except professorships — after proposal from a division
- Setting out the long-term scientific direction of the department
The Department consists of twelve research divisions:
- Biochemistry – division head: Elias Arnér
- Elias Arnér
- Chemical biology and genome engineering – division head: Annika Jenmalm-Jensen
- Core-facilitet: LCBKI, Anna-Lena Gustavsson
- Core-facilitet: Genome Engineering, Bernard Schmierer
- Core-facilitet: PSF, Tomas Nyman
- Chemistry I – division head: Roman Zubarev
- Roman Zubarev
- Core-faciliteten: Proteomics Biomedicum
- Core-faciliteten: Chemical Proteomics
- Chemistry II – division head:
- Jesper Häggström
- Genome biology – division head: Per Moberg
- Jiri Bartek
- Oscar Fernandez-Capetillo
- Simon Elsässer
- Bennie Lemmens
- Medical inflammation research – division head: Rikard Holmdahl
- Rikard Holmdahl
- Medical systems bioengineering – division head: Björn Högberg
- Björn Högberg
- Björn Reinius
- Molly Stevens
- Jussi Taipale (and Inderpreet Kaur Sur)
- Ana Teixiera
- Molecular metabolism – division head: Camilla Koolmeister
- Nils-Göran Larsson
- Anna Wredenberg
- Joanna Rorbach
- Molecular neurobiology – division head: Patrik Ernfors
- Patrik Ernfors
- Ernest Arenas
- Sten Linnarsson
- Per Uhlén
- Ulrika Marklund
- Goncalo Castelo-Branco
- Jens Hjerling-Leffler
- Onur Dagliyan
- Core-facilitet: VirusTech
- Core-facilitet: BIC
- Core-facilitet: BioM Virus labb
- Molecular structural biology – division head: Katja Petzold
- Katja Petzold
- Vascular Biology – division head: Ulf Eriksson
- Ulf Eriksson
- Lars Jakobsson
List of research groups
Find a list of all research groups at MBB
There are eight core facilities for research at MBB.