Admission to doctoral education at NVS
1. Establish a PhD position at NVS
From August 2020 applications to establish a PhD position will be managed through evaluation meetings. The prospective principal supervisor applying for the position submits the application 2 ½ weeks in advance. At the meeting he/she gives a 5 minutes presentation of the doctoral education project, followed by a discussion with the representatives of the research education committee (FoUK). Estimated total time for the meeting is 30 min.
|Evaluation meeting:||Last day to submit:|
|Tuesday 8 September||Thursday 20 August|
|Wednesday 7 October||Friday 18 September|
|Friday 6 November||Tuesday 20 October|
|Thursday 3 December||Monday 16 November|
Applications for PhD positions financed by the KID- or KI-NIH-programs will not be managed through evaluation meetings since these research projects are subject to peer-review at KI.
Please note that the applications for Green Light approval which is attached to the application to establish a PhD position must be signed by the prospective supervisor and the head of the division. "Available financial resources planned to be used to finance a new doctoral student" should include all resources used to cover the total annual salary cost. Please specify the percentage activity planned for the PhD student’s doctoral education, and the contribution (in percent) from the different funding sources under "Other relevant information"
At NVS there are two mandatory attachments in addition to those specified in the form "Establishment of doctoral position":
1. Document verifying that the applicant has passed the KI supervision course ("handledarutbildning"), or the reason for exception from this requirement.
2. Certificate from the KI web course (5 years old or less).
At least 2 weeks are required to manage applications to establish a PhD position, to allow for the division’s and the department’s evaluation of the project plan and financial support. Applications are sent to the coordinator for doctoral education at the NVS department.
Application for Green Light approval to apply for funding from the KID- or KI-NIH-programs
You apply for Green Light by submitting the Green Light approval form signed by you as prospective principal supervisor and the division head, to the NVS coordinator for doctoral education. No amendments are required.
"Available financial resources planned to be used to finance a new doctoral student" should include all resources used to cover the total annual salary cost.
Please specify the percentage activity planned for the PhD student’s doctoral education (full-time or part-time), and the contribution (in percent) from the different funding sources under "Other relevant information"
If you are granted with KID- or KI-NIH-funding you have to apply to establish a PhD position, indicating exemption for advertising the position by ticking the box “Doctoral student has been selected in another competitive recruitment process”.
Doctoral education project for applications from CSC
If you want to allow Chinese students to apply for scholarship from the Chinese Scholarship Council (CSC) with your PhD project, you have to apply to establish PhD position including an application for Green Light approval. For 2020 the application must reach the coordinator for doctoral education at NVS no later than 20 August 2020, to be processed in time for the application to the KI-CSC-program. In the application form you request exemption for advertising the position by ticking the box “Doctoral student has been selected in another competitive recruitment process”.
For PhD students with CSC scholarship the supervisors must add salary or external stipends to reach the KI minimum level of income. The percent funding from the different sources should be specified under "Other relevant information" on the green light form.
If the Chinese student is rewarded with a CSC scholarship, the principal supervisor and the student have to apply for admission to doctoral education similarly to other students by submitting the form Decision: Admission to doctoral education to the NVS coordinator for doctoral education (see step 3 below).
3. Admission decision
After an approved establishment of doctoral position and a completed recruitment process the form "Decision of admission to doctoral education" with mandatory attachments is sent in original to Catarina Cleveson. A copy of the document certifying that the main supervisor has passed KI's course on research supervision (or a motivation for exception) + certificate of completion of KI web course (not older than 5 years) were handed in when applying for establishment of doctoral position. These certificates don't need to be handed in again.
Note! We need a copy of the applying doctoral student's passport of a valid Swedish identification card. The copy must be verified and signed by the main supervisor.
Normally the start date for the doctoral student's studies is the same as the date of the head of department's decision. If a later start date is preferred information about this agreed start date must be attached to the application.
4. ISP and ISP seminar
Within one month from the start of studies a draft of the individual studyplan (ISP) should be registered in the digital ISP-system (eISP). You don't forward it to the director of doctoral education until after the ISP seminar. Information about the eISP-system and a user guide are found on KI's web page. Note that the main supervisor must start the study plan in the system. The one who starts the plan automatically becomes the main supervisor in the system and this cannot be undone. It is important that the doctoral student and the main supervisor inform about any considerable changes that have been made to the project plan since the decision of establishment of a doctoral position, and what changes that have been made. Use the message log in the system for this type of information.
The main supervisor is responsible for arranging an ISP-seminar at the division.The division's FoUK-representative must attend (an invitation, with cc to Catarina Cleveson, should be sent out at least two weeks before the seminar), and if possible, also the second FoUK-representative involved in the admission process (Catarina Cleveson will inform you who this FoUK-representative is). The seminar is to be held in English and should be open for at least all members of the division. For further information on how your division is arranging the seminars, contact your division´s FoUK-representative.
- The FoUK-representative starts the seminar by giving a short presentation about KI, NVS and the division (with a Powerpoint presentation from Catarina Cleveson).
- Supervisors and the doctoral student present themselves (with focus on the doctoral student's presentation).
- A presentation of the research project and an overall view of the research education according to the individual studyplan (ISP).
- Through discussion the FoUK-representatives and the seminar participants may contribute with good advice, for the main supervisor and the doctoral student to consider after the seminar.
According to KI's instructions no actual critical review of the research plan should be made during the seminar, because such a critical review was made before establishment of the doctoral position.
After the ISP seminar:
- The main supervisor and the doctoral student make sure that the individual study plan is filled out completely and that all mandatory attachments are uploaded in the system (including the signed form "Agreement of the co-supervisor"). If any considerable changes have been made to the project plan you must inform us which these changes are. Use the message log in the system. Don't forget to fill in the date of the conducted ISP seminar.
- The student and the main supervisor forward the ISP in the eISP-system. All doctoral students are to have their ISP approved within three months of the commencement of studies.
- The signed form "Agreement of the co-supervisor" is sent or handed in in original to the coordinator of doctoral education (Catarina Cleveson).
- The doctoral student makes an appointment with the coordinator of doctoral education for an introductory meeting.
If you have questions regarding the admission process at NVS, please contact:
Coordinator of doctoral education at NVS
Phone: 08-524 868 32