Skip to main content

Ladok, credit transfers and credit reporting


In Ladok you have access to a special student interface where you can get an overview of your studies and also need to do certain tasks on your own. For example, you will need register there for your research project (your doctoral education) and the doctoral courses at KI that you are taking, you can print out study and registration certificates and apply for degree certificates.

As a doctoral student you need to register for your research project in Ladok in the beginning of each semester (your research project = your doctoral education). The registration period is open from December 15th to January 31st for a spring semester, and from June 15th to August 31st for an autumn semester. Keep in mind these dates!

Watch a brief introduction movie to the Ladok student interface (subtitled in English)

You can whenever you want view most of what is reported for you in Ladok using the link below.

Link to Ladok on the web

Credits from courses, conferences, seminars etc will need to be applied for and registered in Ladok, together with your activity rate and financing per semester, information about supervisors, reporting of your annual follow-ups, half-time and more. Read below how you apply for credits to be reported in Ladok below. All reporting mentioned below requires you to hand in the appropriate application form (no. 13 or no. 16) together with certificates to the Administrative officer of doctoral education at LIME, Ingrid Smedberg. Postbox on floor 3, LIME, Widerströmska building.

Credit transfer/accreditation and credit reporting

All courses and other credit-bearing activities that a doctoral student wish to have reported in Ladok must first have been stated in the individual study plan handed in at time for application for admission, or in updated version/annual follow-up. Course plans can be changed during your education, and is then to be stated in your yearly follow-up or in your updated individual study plan.

Credits will be reported in Ladok based on the following:

  • Courses taken at KI. Automatically reported, after passing the course, by course giving department for doctoral students registered at KI.
  • Courses taken outside KI. Apply for "Credit transfer" using form 13, don't forget important certificates and syllabus.
  • Participation in seminar series or journal clubs. NEW! Apply for "Credit reporting" using form 16, together with verified document from seminar leader or supervisor listing time span, intensity and name of seminar/journal club.
  • Teaching. NEW! Apply for "Credit reporting" using form 16, together with verified document from supervisor listing time span, intensity and name of course and likewise.
  • Visit to research group. NEW! Apply for "Credit reporting" using form 16, together with verified document from supervisor listing time span, intensity and university name and/or location for visit.
  • Own presentation at international congress. NEW! Apply for "Credit reporting" using form 16, together with verified document from congress or supervisor showing doctoral students participation in print on time table or likewise.

Credit transfer (accreditation)

A credit transfer is a decision regulated by the Higher Education Ordinance. It means that one of the credit-bearing courses and knowledge requirements of the general syllabus is replaced by credits earned previously or outside KI. Doctoral students are entitled to transfer the credits awarded for the following (in accordance with chap. 6, sections 6 and 7 of the Higher Education Ordinance):

1. University-level programmes/courses studied at a Swedish or European higher education institution. Decisions on credit transfers for courses concluded prior to admission to doctoral education are best taken in connection with the admission seminar.

2. Other programmes/courses (not from a Swedish or European higher education institution). These include courses offered by a county council (specialist competence courses), by a non-European university or other type of course/programme.

3. Knowledge and skills acquired in a vocational or professional capacity, provided that the student is able to provide documentation to corroborate the skills and knowledge cited in his/her application.

4. Other credit-bearing activities according to the general syllabus (i.e. participation in seminars and congresses, teaching or a temporary residency in another research group) if they are completed prior to admission to doctoral education at KI. Best decided in connection with the admission seminar.

The course may not be included in the general eligibility that was valid at the time of your admission.

Instructions for the application of credit transfer

One separate application (form 13, below) has to be filled out for every credit transfer. This means that every application can be for only one course/ credit giving activity.

Appendices are documents that proves the information of the application.

Example of documents:

  • Course certificate, were it is clear that you have passed the course/done the exam, always together with a syllabus and/or schedule
  • Information that describes the seminar(s) or journal club(s) and its intensity / duration
  • Extent of teaching on BSc/first level or MSc/second level
  • Admittance, abstracts, kind of presentation at conference
  • Certificates from employers

If the doctoral student has attended a course arranged abroad, it is the doctoral student's responsibility to provide information about the credit and also bring the syllabus from that university in question (as an appendix to the application).

When real competence should be assessed the doctoral student describes the competences and certifies this information with a certificate of e.g. the employer.

The application is to be submitted to the Administrative officer of doctoral education (Ingrid Smedberg) IN PRINT together with an attested certificate/documentation (postbox on floor 3, LIME).

The department's director of doctoral education will decide whether the transfer of credits may take place. If the application is approved it will be reported in your Ladok within 1-4 weeks. We do not contact you with a positive decision if not specifically asked for by the doctoral student. If the application is unclear or needs to be complemented in some way we will contact you. If you have questions about the final decision, please contact the director of doctoral education directly.

Form 13 Credit and qualification report (English). Updated March 2019

Blankett 13 Tillgodoräknande och rapportering av poäng och kunskaper (Svenska). Updaterad Mars 2019

Credit reporting

Participation in all other credit-bearing activities (e.g. participationg in seminars, teaching, international conferences or temporary residency in another research group) must be reported in by the doctoral student if they are to be registered in Ladok. For this you use form 16 "Credit reporting" that you hand in IN PRINT (together with certificates) to the Administrative officer of doctoral education Ingrid Smedberg, postbox on floor 3, LIME. Certificates can be for example a programme from a conference where your name is listed, a written and signed certificate from your principal supervisor who states how much you have teached and where etc.

A credit-bearing activity is considered to have been completed within doctoral education at KI regardless of where it actually took place.

It is up to the Departmental Director of doctoral studies to judge, on the basis of the general syllabus, if an activity is to be credit-bearing, and if so, how many credits it awards.

Form 16 Credit reporting (English and Swedish). Updated March 2019