Using the LCI facility
The Live Cell Imaging Facility offer light microscopy equipment and services at the Karolinska Institute, campus Flemingsberg and is open to researchers from all universities and companies.
What service will I get?
See here details of the LCI equipment.
The LCI membership consist of 2 fees:
The entry fee is a one-time fee that includes:
- An initial project discussion with tons of advice on experimental and sample design. We will decide together which system is best suited for your project.
- A very thorough one-to-one training with your own sample on the chosen type of system. The aim is that at the end of the training you have acquired a solid theoretical and practical knowledge about the machine, the software, the sample, the experimental design and the requirements for reliable image analysis.
- All the help you need after you have been trained, refresher sessions if you have forgotten something, new expert discussion when your project evolves…
The usage fee is a renewable fee (from few months to one year) that includes:
- Access to the systems you were trained on. You can use the LCI equipment and services as and when you want within the usage rules (see here). There is no additional fee per hour.
- Access to all LCI analysis software (Fiji, Cell Profiler, Imaris, NIS Elements and MatLab) on the LCI virtual desktop infrastructure
- Expert help to build your image analysis pipeline
Note that the Entry and Usage fees are individual and cannot be transferred from one user to another, even from the same lab.
Some of the LCI Entry fees gives access to several microscopes:
- Nikon confocals Entry fee: 4 confocal systems (Tweety, Pegasus, Dragon and Orion)
- Nikon widefield Entry fee: 4 widefield systems (Orion, Victor, Tweety and Minerva), 2 TIRF systems (Orion and Victor) and 2 spinning disk confocal (Victor and Tweety)
- STORM Entry fee: 1 STORM system (Orion)
- Zeiss confocal Entry fee: 1 confocal with a multiphoton option (Zeus)
- Light sheet Entry fee: 1 light sheet system (Aurora)
|1. Entry Fee (SEK)|
|First microscope training at the LCI: Widefield/spinning disk/TIRF, Confocals, light sheet, STORM||12.000|
|Subsequent microscope training at the LCI: Widefield/spinning disk/TIRF, Confocals, light sheet, STORM||9.000|
|Analysis software only (non-microscope users)||2.000|
|Specialized equipment (not including the costs for material): Laser microdissection, Cell picker, Micropatterning, Micromanufacturing, Slide scanner||3.000|
|2. Usage fee (SEK)|
|12 months||6 months||3 months||1 month||2 weeks|
|Microscopes and analysis software||18.000||11.000||7.000||4.000||NA|
|Analysis software only||10.000||6.000||4.000||2.000||NA|
|Specialized equipment (not including the costs for material): Laser microdissection, Cell picker, Micropatterning, Micromanufacturing, Slide scanner||14.000||10.000||7.000||3.000||2.000|
For non-academic users, the entry and usage fees are doubled.
Join the LCI facility
If you want to use the LCI instruments, contact the LCI facility (LiveCellImaging@ki.se) to schedule a project discussion.
Users must follow the LCI-facility - guidelines at all times.
Testimonies from our users
Training and usage of the facility
"The training was very good. It was the first time in my career I had such a personalized and complete training on microscopy. It is very useful to spend several hours with someone from the LCI staff during the training and learn how to image our samples in the best way possible"
"The theory component of the training is invaluable!"
"I never had such a thorough introduction to microscopy anywhere else and I found what one learned very valuable for my experiments"
"It's great that those extensive trainings exist! It really helps to get most out of your samples"
"Best imaging place ever!"
"The staff of the facility are available to help troubleshoot at short notice and they are constantly bringing new technologies and techniques to the facility to improve results."
" I really like that the microscopes are maintained well and LCI is very helpful with any questions, trouble-shooting or even bouncing ideas"
" LCI staff are all very helpful and willing to help and interested!"
"The LCI imaging facility is the best imaging facility I encountered during my career regarding equipment (keeping up with new developments), training and support"