Contract rules and tenant obligations
The tenant is responsible for reading the contract rules thoroughly before signing it upon arrival. Any uncertainties concerning the contract must be addressed by the tenant before signing the contract. Once you have signed a rental contract with KI Housing, you have agreed to follow the contract rules written below.
1. The tenant must be conducting studies or research at Karolinska Institutet to rent accommodation from KI Housing. If the tenant ends their studies/research at KI, the tenant has no right to continue to rent a room or an apartment from KI Housing.
2. The maximum rental time is limited to one year as the accommodation provided by KI Housing is intended to be a first place to stay when a student/guest researcher comes from abroad. It is possible to apply for an extension for a second year but this will only be granted in case of vacancies.
3. KI Housing does not guarantee that an extension of a contract is possible. The tenant has no right to further extension of the rental agreement if KI Housing asks that the rental agreement must expire due to fact that the room/apartment will be rented to other new incoming international student/guest researcher accepted/invited by Karolinska Institutet.
4. KI Housing does not own the accommodation that international students and guest researchers at KI can rent. All rooms and apartments are rented from different landlords and KI Housing sublets them to their tenants.
5. KI Housing has the right to cancel the contract with the tenant if the landlord should terminate the contract with KI Housing without offering another accommodation alternative.
6. All dorm rooms and single rooms provided by KI Housing are meant for single occupancy only and it is only permissible for the contract holder, to live there.
7. KI Housing does not offer the possibility to move to an alternative room/apartment. KI Housing reserves the right to move the tenant to other accommodation if deemed necessary.
8. Internet access is provided as a service by KI Housing in most of our areas. The internet service is provided on an “as is” basis. KI Housing cannot guarantee that internet access will be provided during the whole duration of a tenant’s stay.
9. If any changes are made in our contract rules and/or regulations, the tenant will receive a notification by email.
10. It is the responsibility of the tenant to follow the contract rules, regulations and to pay the rent in time. If these terms and conditions are not followed, KI Housing has the right to cancel a contract during the time of lease.
Rent and deposit
11. The rent is charged per month. The first and the last month, the rent is charged in accordance with the starting and ending dates of the contract. Rooms/apartments are rented for the full rental period stated in the contract with payment liability independent of the actual arrival and departure date.
12. The rent includes water, heating, electricity, laundry facilities and basic furniture. Note that laundry charges may apply and will then be specified in the area information page.
13. The rent may be raised during the lease period due to increased costs and/or yearly rent increases from our landlords.
14. KI Housing has the right to charge the tenant if the cost for electricity exceeds the cost for normal electricity consumption.
15. A refundable deposit is charged.
16. If the tenant has paid a deposit upon arrival, the deposit will be refunded if the keys are returned on time and the final inspection is approved.
17. The tenant will not receive a rent reduction for any period when the landlord carries out normal maintenance of the room/apartment/building, in connection with the extermination of pests or if the internet service is unstable or down.
18. The KI Housing staff must be allowed to enter the apartment/room when on duty.
19. KI Housing has the right to visit the room/apartment to make a mid-term inspection in order to detect damages and check the condition of the property. This will be advertised in advance.
20. A final inspection of the room/apartment will be carried out after a tenant has moved out. Based on this, costs for damages, missing items, items left behind and/or insufficient cleaning will be deducted from the deposit or sent as an additional invoice after departure.
20. The tenant is not allowed to sublease the room/apartment under any circumstances. Subletting the room/apartment leads to termination of the contract with immediate effect.
21. The tenant cannot move into the room/apartment before 14:00 PM on the starting date of the contract (arrival date).
22. The tenant must leave the room/apartment before 14:00 PM on the ending date of the contract (departure date).
23. Request for an extension of a contract needs to be made by email to email@example.com two months before the end of the current contract. KI Housing cannot guarantee that an extension of a contract is possible. Note that a contract cannot be extended past the maximum rental time.
24. As a tenant, you should be aware of that the apartment/room is rented for the full period stated in the rental contract (from the starting date until the ending date of the contract). The tenant has the right to shorten the rental period/contract by giving notice of termination in the customer portal. The minimum time of notice is one month.
25. KI Housing does not provide any type of insurance. KI Housing strongly advise all tenants to sign a home insurance as the tenant is responsible for the accommodation, inventory and personal belongings.
26. The tenant is responsible for the keys during the whole stay and a fee will be charged if the keys are missing. The tenant must contact KI Housing immediately after discovering that the keys are lost. All costs related to lost keys will be charged to the tenant.
27. All copying of keys to KI Housing rooms and apartments is strictly forbidden.
28. The keys must be returned before 14:00 PM on the ending date of the contract (departure date).
Rent and deposit
29. If a deposit is charged, the tenant must pay the deposit on or before the due date of the invoice.
30. The tenant is obliged to pay the rent on or before the due date of the rental invoice. Tenants who fail to pay the rent in time will be charged a reminder fee. Tenants who repeatedly fail to observe the due dates will be given notice of termination of contract.
31. The tenant must submit a deposit reclaim form on our website in order to get the deposit back after departure.
32. The tenant is obliged to report any problems regarding maintenance, repair or replacement by submitting a maintenance report in the customer portal.
33. The tenant is responsible for keeping the apartment and its furniture clean during the whole lease. An inspection of your room/apartment has been made before your arrival. We ask you to check the standard of your room/apartment and to report any damages or remarks in the checklist that is available in the customer portal upon arrival. Deficiencies regarding the inventory must be reported to KI Housing immediately. When a tenant is leaving, damaged and/or missing items will be replaced and charged to the tenant.
34. In case of vermin infestation (bedbugs, cockroaches, rats etcetera), tenants are obliged to contact KI Housing immediately. Pest control is free of charge. The tenant is obliged to make the necessary preparations and cooperate throughout the decontamination process. The tenant will not be offered to move to another accommodation.
Rules for cancellation/termination of a contract
Cancellation before arrival
– For termination of a contract before the starting date of the contract, we require one month’s notice.
– Notice needs to be made by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. It is only valid after KI Housing has confirmed reception.
– The tenant is obliged to pay rent for one week if notice is given less than one month before the starting date of the contract.
Termination during the stay
– For termination of a contract before its ending date we require one months’ notice.
– Termination of your rental contract is made in the customer portal in the contracts section.
– The tenant is obliged to pay rent for one month from the date of giving notice also when departing earlier.
Rules for changing the starting date of the contract
Postponing the starting date of the contract
– If you would like to postpone the starting date of your contract, we require 15 days’ notice. Note that it is only possible to postpone the starting date up to a maximum of two weeks.
– For shorter notice than 15 days, you need to pay rent from the original starting date of your contract.
– Notice needs to be made by email to email@example.com and it is only valid after KI Housing has confirmed reception
Changing the starting date of the contract to an earlier date
– If you would like to change the starting date of your contract to an earlier date, we ask you to send your request by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
– Note that we cannot guarantee that it will be possible to change the starting date of your contract to an earlier date.