StratNeuro is the strategic research area neuroscience at Karolinska Institutet, Umeå University and KTH for integrating clinical and basic research and to foster a new generation of leaders and scientists in translational neuroscience.
Brain disorders are among the most common causes of disability in high income countries. The European Brain Council has estimated that one third of European citizens will be affected during their lifetime. In addition to the suffering of patients and their families, this leads to enormous costs for society. In spite of the major impact on society, there is a lack of effective prevention and treatments. Karolinska Institutet, together with Umeå University and KTH, therefore has established the strategic neuroscience area StratNeuro.
The vision is that by integrating research in clinical and basic neurosciences, the StratNeuro will significantly advance knowledge to the point where the burden of disease from brain disorders that cause cognitive and motor dysfunctions is reduced. One aspect of this will be a striving to create a truly interactive, translational neuroscience milieu with an international reputation that will attract academic and industrial partners.
The mission is to:
- Reveal the biological underpinnings of nervous system disorders
- Identify etiology, pathophysiology, social and environmental risk factors of the major brain disorders
- Develop biomarkers for early detection and for monitoring disease progress
- Develop new approaches for prevention and treatment
- Foster a new generation of leaders and scientists in translational neuroscience
- StratNeuro aims to support recruitment of new group leaders with an outstanding track record in the neuroscience area. StratNeuro therefore invites researchers, who conduct research in the neuroscience area and have been granted a Karolinska Institutet Faculty Funded Assistant Professor position, or a Starting grant from VR (Swedish research council) to apply for a start-up grant of 500.000 SEK/year for 2 years.
- StratNeuro also aims to provide a competitive startup funding package to promote external recruitments, and to support international researchers who aim to establish their group at KI. StratNeuro therefore invites external researchers who have been granted a VR (Swedish research council) Starting grant or a Karolinska Institutet Faculty Funded Assistant Professor position to apply for 2 million SEK (startup grant SEK 1 million/year for 2 years).
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to apply.
Start-up Programme for Clinical Researchers
- StratNeuro aims support clinically active researchers in neuroscience at KI and who have been granted a “Klinisk forskare” or a “Högre klinisk forskare” grant from Region Stockholm. Researchers who fulfil these criteria are invited to apply for our start-up grant of 250.000 SEK/year for 2 years.
Contact email@example.com to apply.
Collaborative Neuroscience Projects
This funding is aimed towards multidisciplinary collaborations for high risk/high impact research projects in all areas of neuroscience.
There are no current open calls for this funding initiative.
Funding for Postdoctoral Researchers
This StratNeuro funding aims to support outstanding postdoctoral researchers in basic and clinical neuroscience who are already conducting research at KI and need support to continue and complete their projects.
Call for application will open in late November 2022
We plan to announce 1-2 StratNeuro Bridging Grants for outstanding researchers at the consolidator stage at KI. The Bridging grant provides two years of funding: 1.2 million SEK/year, for 2 years.
Group leaders at Karolinska Institutet in the Neuroscience area who have not previously received the KI Consolidator Grant.
Funding for research conference support
StratNeuro support for neuroscience research conference or workshop. Applications are welcome from both junior and senior researchers.