About the Department of Medical Biochemistry and Biophysics
The vision of MBB is to conduct world class research and to be a department that continues to be internationally renowned for its scientific discoveries. In addition, MBB shall pursue undergraduate and doctoral education of the highest standard.
The Department of Medical Biochemistry and Biophysics currently has twelve research divisions, whose research focus on basic science and mechanisms that cause disease.
MBB also has two divisions that are composed of core facilities and additional core facilities which are affiliated to the research divisions (see the organizational scheme, core facilities are marked in red).
MBB provides undergraduate and doctoral education.
Information about the activities of the MBB work environment group, including “Quick guide for group leaders at MBB” and a collection of risk assessments, is available at the MBB Intranet.
The equal treatment group at MBB promotes the benefits of an equal work environment.
The coordination group (samverkansgrupp) consists of representatives from the staff associations and representatives from the employer (head of department, head of administration, and HR).
The advisory committee (beredningsgrupp) handles day-to-day administrative matters at the department. The committee has the following composition:
- Nils-Göran Larsson, head of MBB
- Jesper Haeggström, deputy head of MBB
- Carina Hammarström, head of administration at MBB
- Natalia Demin, accounting supervisor at MBB
- Sten Linnarsson, professor at the research division of Molecular Neurobiology
The MBB administration is described in more detail below.
- Lina Rowland - HR coordinator.
- Kristina Sallander - HR coordinator.
- Anneli Svarén - Administrator. Responsible for KI Scholarships (undergraduate, postdoctor and top up of external PhD scholarships), expense claims, travel profiles, secondary occupations, registry and archiving, KIMKAT Administration (e-mail and passwords for associated/non employed staff) and sick leave.
KI's central IT-support: firstname.lastname@example.org, 08-524 822 22.
Tabea Kemna - Communications officer. Available at the Central Administration on Tuesdays. Responsible for the MBB website and other communications, e.g. help with advertising conferences.
Archive and information management
- Anneli Svarén
- Alessandra Nanni - Information management of Material transfer agreements, Mutual transfer agreement, Mutual Confidential Agreement
Alessandra Nanni - Contact person for ordering pharmaceutical products and drugs for laboratory use
Head of Department
Head of Administration
+46-8-524 800 00 (switchboard)
SE-171 77 Stockholm
171 65 Solna
The Department of Medical Biochemistry and Biophysics (MBB) was founded in 1993 as a merger between the former departments of Physiological Chemistry, Biochemistry and Medical Biophysics. The department has a long heritage of internationally renowned research.
Prominent researchers within MBB's area of research are Jöns Jacob Berzelius, who among other things discovered the element Selenium, and the Nobel Prize laureates Hugo Theorell (for his discoveries concerning the nature and mode of action of oxidation enzymes), Sune Bergström and Bengt Samuelsson (for their discoveries concerning prostaglandins and related biologically active substances).