Center of Neurodevelopmental Disorders at Karolinska Institutet (KIND) is a competence center focusing on research, development and education about neurodevelopmental disorders. KIND is a part of the Pediatric Neuropsychiatry Unit at the Department of Women’s and Children’s Health.
KIND is located at Child and Adolescent Psyciatric Research Center, Gävlegatan 22, in Stockholm. KIND was created by the Stockholm County Council in collaboration with Karolinska Institutet and started year 2010. About 40 researchers, research psychologists, physicians, nurses, research assistants and administrators work at KIND. Head of the unit is professor Sven Bölte. Our clinical unit, BUP KIND, is a part of the Child- and Adolescent Psychiatry in Stockholm County Council. Head of BUP KIND is Steve Berggren, psychologist.
Our goals regarding research and development
- Develop and spread knowledge on early detection and diagnosing of children with neurodevelopmental disorders.
- Develop and spread knowledge on novel forms of biologically and behavior-based treatment.
- Evaluate current and novel forms of treatment and identify principles for standardizing, and improve medical or functional assessments.
- Development of a high quality research registry and a biobank for ongoing and future research.
- Conduct research on the causes that lead to neurodevelopmental disorders.
- Engage in communicating important research
Our goals regarding education
- Coordinate education in close cooperation with principals and organizations in basic and advanced education.
- Map and analyze educational needs within various health care professions, schools, social services etc. and offer evidence-based, practically oriented courses of high quality accordingly.
- Translate research-based knowledge on »best practice« through coordinated educational programs and other educational means to relevant target groups.
- Support local educational coordinators to plan and conduct quality ensured competence development.
- Catch contemporary educational needs. Inform principals about such needs and coordinate new educational programs in accord with these needs.
- Develop and coordinate the spreading of knowledge to patients, their parents and relatives through education and other forms of information such as the internet.
Director of KIND and head of Pediatric Neuropsychiatry Unit