8. PUBLIC DEFENCE
Digital application -
apply 3 months before defence
• At least 2 published/accepted papers
• 1 opponent and 3 examiners required
• At least 30 credits registered in Ladok
• Approximately 800% activity registered
• PhD course and activity requirements (section 2,4)
From 13/3-2020 the Dissertation committee will ONLY accept APPLICATIONS submitted digitally - i.e. you have to submit your application by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org (and NOT by leaving a paper copy). Digital signatures are now permitted from your supervisor/Study Director/Head of Department.
• Time to defend your thesis
• Deadlines and important dates - the Dissertation Committee
• Laying out and printing a thesis
Book lecture/meeting room for your public defence:
To book a lecture hall, meeting room or a study room, you need the username and password that you can find at CNS internal webpage (Support - Room booking).
From 13/3-2020 the Dissertation committee will ONLY accept APPLICATIONS submitted digitally - i.e. you have to submit your application by sending an email to email@example.com (and NOT by leaving a paper copy to them). Digital signatures are permitted.
A public defence application needs to be signed by the:
1. PhD student
2. Main supervisor - digital signature is permitted.
3. Director of Doctoral education. Contact her at least 2 weeks before the application deadline (after your main supervisor has signed the application). Digital signature is permitted.
4. Head of Department. Contact his assistant at least 2 weeks before the application deadline (after your main supervisor and the Director of Doctoral education have signed the application). Digital signature is permitted.
Plagiarism check - link
Public defence should be advertised approximately 1 month before the dissertation.
Contact Sara Andersson firstname.lastname@example.org and inform her about the following:
- Day, time and place
- Dissertation thesis title
- Language - English or Swedish (Swedish is allowed if the opponent and all members of the Dissertation Committee speak Swedish)
- Main supervisor - name, title, university and institute
- Co-supervisor(s) - name, title, university and institute
- Opponent - name, title, university and institute
- The Dissertation Committee members - name, title, university and institute
Opponent: Apply for SINK
Does the opponent have a Swedish social security number or coordination number (samordningsnummer)?
If not - you need to apply for SINK (special income tax for non-residents; särskild inkomstskatt för utlandsbosatta) at the Swedish Tax Agency (Skatteverket).
You can do it via the link below:
Note that you need to choose the right income year.
Send the application and a copy of the passport to:
171 94 Solna - doublecheck the address before sending at the link above
Once you have received the SINK decision, the opponent's fee (10 000 SEK) can be paid.
Then send the following documents to CNS HR Unit: Tomtebodavägen 18A, floor 5
- SINK decision
- Signed Renumeration form (ersättning till tillfälligt anställda) in original - Forms and templates
- Swedbank's account notification with the recipient's signature
- Expense form (utläggsblankett) incl. receipts from taxi, SL trip, if any
- Copy of Decision of the examination board from Public defence, where it appears that the person was an opponent