Collaborative Call for Breast Cancer Applications: 2020 Karolinska Institutet and Mayo Clinic Cancer Center
The Mayo Clinic Cancer Center and Karolinska Institutet are pleased to announce the 2020 Request for Applications (RFA) within the area of breast cancer with a submission deadline of July 15th, 2020. Having created a unique network, Mayo Clinic Cancer Center and Karolinska Institutet are in an excellent position to leverage this relationship to make a global impact on cancer through research focusing on the diagnosis, prevention, or treatment of breast cancer.
This newly formed collaboration will begin with an initial phase supporting two demonstration projects in 2020 on the topic of Breast cancer, due to already existing links and collaboration between the research entities. A broader programme focusing on additional cancer sites is planned for future calls.
The objective of this funding is to provide support to initiate and enhance collaborations in breast cancer research between Mayo Clinic Cancer Center and Karolinska Institutet - Cancer Research KI.
In this initial phase, breast cancer researchers are invited to submit project proposals. Examples of potential research areas are:
- breast density, benign breast disease and risk of breast cancer
- breast cancer and pharmacogenomics
- breast cancer and endocrine resistance
- breast cancer immunology and tumor vaccines
- breast cancer immunology and biomarkers
These studies may involve considerable scientific risk but may potentially lead to a breakthrough in a particular area, or to the development of novel techniques, agents, methodologies, models, or applications that could have a major impact on cancer research and patient outcomes. It is expected that support via this program will lead to subsequent extramural support from other sources, and will be a metric of success for this grant awarding program.
Up to two (2) individual projects will be awarded for one year with a second year of recommended funding contingent on satisfactory progress in the first year. Project investigators may request up to $100,000 (total cost) for the Mayo Clinic Cancer Center component ($50,000/year for 2 years) and up to 1MSEK for the Karolinska Institutet component (500 000SEK /year for 2 years) per project. Indirect costs are included in the total award. Funding for this RFA is through established philanthropic support (Mayo).
- Application submission deadline Sweden: 23:59 pm on July 15, 2020
- Application submission deadline US Rochester, MN, USA 16:59 on July 15, 2020
- Award Announcements: September 30, 2020
- Award Period: November 1 2020- October 31, 2022.
All faculty at the ranks of Assistant, Associate, and full Professor are eligible to apply. At KI, senior group leaders (PhD) with at least 2 years of salary/fellowship secured and working at least 50% as scientists at a KI department can apply.
Applications must include one investigator from Mayo Clinic Cancer Center and one from Karolinska Institutet. Associate, Affiliate or Certified Member/MOU relationships are eligible.
The application should be written in English and contain:
- Research program (four pages maximum, excluding references).
- Applications need to clearly identify how the research strengths of each investigator will synergize such that the research could not move forward without the collaboration. Applications from Mayo/Karolinska investigators forging new collaborations as well as from investigators with a prior track record of collaboration are welcome
- For Karolinska investigators, a Short CV of the principal investigator (including current funding) and a Publication list for the last eight years (2012-2020) in reversed chronological order. Please mark your five most important publications with an asterisk and emphasize your own name in bold. Please categorize your publications (1. peer-reviewed original articles in international journals, 2. peer-reviewed conference contributions, 3. review articles/ book chapters, 4. patents).
- For Mayo investigators, a current NIH biosketch is required
- Project budget for Year 1 and 2 as well as simple budget justifications for Karolinska Institutet partner in SEK and Mayo Clinic Cancer Center partner in dollars.
- Applicants may submit more than one application, provided that each application is scientifically distinct.
- Formatting: Documents must include page number with font Arial, size 11, margins 1” inch, single spaced.
- Please send your application as one pdf file named "KI_Mayo collaboration call_firstname_lastname" to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org at the stated deadlines.
Late submissions will not be accepted. There will be no exceptions.
The applications will be subjected to a scientific review that will include external (KI) and internal (Mayo) scientific reviewers. The evaluations will be combined and an executive committee (composed of the director of Cancer Research KI and the director of Mayo Clinic Breast Cancer Research (pending no conflict of interest exists)) will make the final funding decision based on the ranking from the combined evaluations.
Review Criteria: Reviewers will consider each of the seven review criteria below in the determination of scientific and technical merit:
- Collaborative value
To facilitate new collaborations, we are offering help in finding partners at both institutes. Please write a short description of the perceived project and sent this to either Johanna Furuhjelm email@example.com at Cancer Research KI or to Jewel Podratz at firstname.lastname@example.org at the Mayo Clinic Cancer Center. We will do our best to find the contact details for researcher in the appropriate area of breast cancer research and facilitate the initiation of fruitful collaboration discussions.
Publication/ Presentation Citation: In all presentations and/or publications of findings derived by the use of these funds, the following citation should be used “This research was supported by funds from the “KI-Mayo Cancer Collaboration initiative”
Residual Funds: Any funds not expended by the end of the award period will be returned to the funding source for reallocation.
Progress Reports: Awardees will be required to submit annual progress reports describing the research accomplishments, publications and/or presentations and extramural funding received as a result of the grant. These should be submitted via e-mail to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. Awardees will be also be expected to present their progress reports as an oral presentation at one or more annual meetings upon request.