Past Master thesis projects
Toxicology is a broad subject which allows for you to choose your Master thesis project based on your interest(s)! Thanks to Karolinska Institutet's good reputation and agreements with specific universities, the project can be performed all over the world.
Potential projects with a toxicological profile are usually presented during the spring on semester 2. Projects can also be found at various websites at KI and other universities and the students are encouraged to make their own contacts, e.g. teachers at previous courses. Projects may be performed at KI and other internationally recognized universities, pharmaceutical, chemical or consultancy companies or governmental authorities/agencies.
The project can be either an experimental, epidemiological or a literature-based research project or a risk assessment-related project and are usually 37.5 credits.
Here you can read some thoughts from Aline Colonnello, our former digital ambassador, on how to find the perfect project ►.
Below is a list of some of the projects performed recently (Class of 2022).
- An assessment of the endocrine disruption potential of two commonly used industrial chemicals, a case study @ Perstorp
- Analysis of DNA methylation induced by prenatal exposure to an EDC mixture (Mixture N1) @ Uppsala University
- Assessing the sufficiency of the OEL document in protecting against reproductive and developmental toxicity @ Karolinska Institutet
- Benzophenone-3 as a UV-filter: friend or foe? Weight of evidence-based risk assessment of benzophenone-3 as a potential endocrine disruptor according to the European Commission's scientific criteria @ Swedish Medical Products Agency
- Determining differential sex responses in pro-oncogenic signalling pathways after cigarette smoke extract exposure @ Trinity College, Dublin, Irland
- Development of Flow Cytometry-based Assay/s to Monitor Cell Type-Specific Treatment Responses in a Co-culture Model @ AstraZeneca
- Effects and underlying mechanisms of PFAS and monoalkyl phthalate esters on lipid metabolism in larval zebrafish (Danio rerio) @ Uppsala University
- Investigating how overexpression of metallothionein MT1G can sensitize human colorectal cancer cell lines and overcome drug resistance when treated with different doses of Salinomycin @ IMCB, A*STAR, Singapore
- Investigation of the effects of polymedication treatment in a mouse model of Alzheimer’s Disease @ Karolinska Institutet
- Nano formulations of current therapeutic drug candidates against SARS-Cov-2 for pulmonary delivery: immune modulatory and toxic effects @ Institut de Biologie et Chimie des Protéines, Lyon, France
- Per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances concentrations in pregnant women and their fetuses explored by maternal-fetal physiologically-based toxicokinetic modelling @ Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences
- Profiling the signaling modalities of anti-diabetic drugs using ebBRET-based biosensors @ Karolinska Institutet
- Protective effects of L-serine against the natural BMAA toxin and genetic disposition associated with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis @ University of Bergen, Norway
- Redox-active selenocompound for leukemia treatment: efficacy and toxicity evaluation @ Karolinska Institutet
- SciRAPnano: a pragmatic approach for quality evaluation of in vitro toxicity data for risk assessment of nanomaterials @ Karolinska Institutet
- Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors and autism risk mediated cellular responses during early human neurodevelopment @ Karolinska Institutet
- Toxicity of copper and silver nanowires in a human in vitro lung model @ Karolinska Institutet
A more complete list of projects can be found here►.