Third cycle (doctoral) Education and Training
Ambitious and highly motivated students interested in our research areas may contact MTC research groups to inquire about student positions. We provide an international environment with excellent researchers, students and core-facilities.
The Department of Microbiology, Tumor and Cell Biology (MTC) provides a dynamic research environment for approximately 80 PhD students.
Students, are you interested in doctoral education at MTC?
To become a doctoral student at KI, apply for one or more of the announced doctoral projects. You can also find more information here:
Information for Supervisors
With a few exceptions, all PhD positions are publically advertised. Before considering taking any PhD students, please contact the studierektor for information, relevant updates, and regulations.
Prospective supervisors are required to follow a step by step admission routine in preparation for every PhD student intake.
In essence the steps are:
- Establishment of a doctoral position
- Recruitment and eligibility assessment
- Admission decision
- ISP and the ISP seminar
These steps are summarised below with the links to the relevant forms and guidelines.
1. Establishment of doctoral position
As of August 1st 2017, KI requires all supervisors to obtain departmental approval (the so called “Green Light”) before any PhD recruitment process can begin. This is irrespective of how the PhD students are financially supported. The official application form may be downloaded below. After completion, this form should be sent to the third cycle educational administrator at MTC (see below).
Please note that the ‘green light’ routine does not replace the current admission routines.
Every prospective principal supervisor must also apply to his/her department to establish a doctoral position by submitting the form for the Establishment of doctoral position. The completed form and all the required attachments should be handed to the third cycle educational administrator at MTC (see below)
2. Recruitment and eligibility assessment
All prospective doctoral students must meet both the general and the specific eligibility requirements for doctoral studies.
The application for eligibility is normally handled through the online system during the recruitment process. Otherwise in some instances, as for CSC students, the supervisors have to get in touch with the study administrator for the proper procedure.
Please follow the routines for recruitment and eligibility stipulated by KI in the link below. Once a shortlist of candidates has been made, MTC will follow the selection process stipulated by KI. For more information regarding this process, please contact the Studierektor.
3. Admission decision
The admission process stipulated by KI is strictly followed, and is described in this link.
The completed forms (below) and all the required attachments for admission should be handed to the educational administrator at MTC.
Admission Decision Form (See page 2 of this form for instructions and information about necessary attachments)
4. The Individual Study Plan (ISP) and ISP Seminar
Each doctoral student is required to have an ISP. Instruction and forms for the ISP can be found on the link below. The proposed ISP should be handed in to the Study Administrator within a month of the commencement of studies.
Please note that there is only one study subject for Third cycle (doctoral) students at KI, namely "Medical Science".
The ISP seminar has to be held soon after admission, whereupon the final Individual Study Plan is endorsed. This has to be completed within 3 months from the date of commencement. Seminar dates are fixed once admission has been completed, and then doctoral students and supervisors need to choose at date and inform the Study Administrator. All the relevant instructions will be sent to the respective doctoral students and their principal supervisors well in advance of the seminar.
Dates for ISP seminars Autumn 2019
Yearly Follow Up Seminar
MTC monitors the progress of all postgraduate students via a yearly student seminar and a follow up discussion with the student, main supervisor and an appointed chairperson. The chairpersons are representatives of MTC and KI and should implement the rules and regulations in a constructive way to help the student achieve their academic goals.
The yearly control is an obligatory part of the student’s education plan, which is required by all universities. Routines and forms for the follow-up can be found below:
Changes in Study Plan
You have to inform the Educational administrator of any changes in your individual study plan, research plan, financial plan, supervisor(s) and mentor. Please use the form "MTC Changes form" (See link below) for those changes.
If you want to terminate your studies at MTC use the form "MTC Deregistration Form" (See link below)
Credit Transfer of Courses and Accredition of credit-bearing activities
Please note that we normally cannot accept courses which were taken during the four first years of your basic university exam (240 university credits)
All doctoral students must obtain at least 30 university credits when applying for thesis defense. Credit transfers are done using two different forms:
- Form 13 for University and other courses
- Form 16 for other credit-bearing activities which do not include courses
The signed form together with attachments should be handed in to the Educational administrator for approval and registration in LADOK. Doctoral courses passed at KI are automatically entered into LADOK (no form is needed).
The forms and instructions can be found by following the link:
Guidelines for Half-time review
All PhD students are required to have a half-time review after four semesters of full time studies and no later than the end of the fifth semester. Please refer to the requirements below:
In addition to the KI requirements, all PhD students registered at MTC must pass the Literature Examination according in accordance with their study plan.
Do not forget to
- Book a time and room for the half-time review. The review normally takes one to two hours, including discussions.
- Complete the MTC application form below and hand it to the administrator at least 3 weeks before the scheduled review. Please note that at least one member of the committee should work outside MTC.
- Make sure the committee is given the “KI Protocol at half-time review” (form 5), see link above. Ensure that the committee spends some time when filling in the form. Please ask them to avoid using one or two word descriptions of the progress e.g. "Good", "Nice work" etc. Not essays, but one or two lines would be much more informative and helpful. The completed half-time protocol should be handed in to the study administrator for registration in Ladok.
- Karolinska Institutet has a set of rules and regulations governing the half-time review. Please refer to the link above for the proper procedure. Note that the supervisors and the doctoral student ensure that the half-time board receives the documents at least two weeks before the seminar.
- MTC application for half-time review (word file)
- KI protocol at half time review - Form 5
- Guidelines for half-time review at MTC (pdf file)
- MTC literature examination guidelines and form (pdf file)
Time for Dissertation
IMPORTANT: You must refer to the study administrator to arrange your dissertation (date and time) before contacting the committee.
Your completed application needs to be handed in to the study administrator at least 5 working days before the meeting deadline set by the dissertation committee. Failure to do so may delay your submission and subsequently your dissertation.
1. A date must be set and confirmed immediately with the Study Administrator. As a general rule only two dissertations are allowed at MTC in any one day i.e. one in the morning and one in the afternoon.
The Study Administrator will help you to book a suitable lecture hall and date. It is important that you confirm this date with the study administrator at MTC
IMPORTANT: Before your thesis is sent to the printers it MUST be checked for plagiarism. You may contact your study counselor (Studierektor) for the exact procedure.
2. The Head of Department and the Study Councelor must sign the forms before they are sent to the Dissertation Committee. Please hand in the application at least five days in advance to the study administrator. Enclosed with the application forms your papers in press and submitted manuscripts, as well as those in preparation (even if they are not yet finalized).
3. After approval from the KI dissertation committee following the appraisal by your examination committee, mail the following information to your study administrator:
4. Send ONE copy of the doctoral thesis to the Administrator of Postgraduate Studies for official use.
5. The main supervisor is responsible for booking a meeting room for the Evaluation Committee.
6. The protocol for the dissertation will be with the chairperson of the dissertation, and should be brought to the Evaluation Committee meeting. The signed protocol should be handed to the Study Administrator. The newly qualified doctor is advised to make a copy of the protocol.
Please read more information here:
Director of Doctoral Studies
Phone:+46-(0)8-524 859 95
The MTC HR department can be reached by email firstname.lastname@example.org
MTC Student Association (MSA)
All students are registered for a PhD in Medical Science. The doctoral students at Karolinska Institutet may be affiliated to the medical students association (MF, Medicinska Föreningen). There is also an active departmental students association: the MTC-students association (MSA).
You can contact the MSA by email: email@example.com