Doctoral Education and Training at MTC
Students, are you interested in doctoral education at MTC? The Department of Microbiology, Tumor and Cell Biology (MTC) provides a dynamic research environment for approximately 60 PhD students.
To become a doctoral student at KI
Apply for one or more of the announced doctoral projects.
Information for Supervisors
With a few exceptions, all PhD positions are publicly advertised. Get familiar with current regulations at KI before considering hiring a new PhD student.
Prospective supervisors at Karolinska Institutet are required to follow this step-by-step admission routine in preparation for every new PhD student.
Please note that:
- KI requires all supervisors to obtain departmental approval (the so called “Green Light”) before any PhD recruitment process can begin. The official application form may be downloaded below. After completion, this form should be sent to the educational administrator at MTC, Eva Noréns.
- Please note that the ‘green light’ approval does not replace the current admission routines.
- Before any admission decision is made, shortlisted candidates are interviewed by representatives of MTC faculty. Please contact the study director for more information.
Step 1: Establishment of doctoral position
On the page Forms and documents for doctoral education you will find the relevant forms to download for the establishment of doctoral position:
- Establishment of doctoral position (Word). On the second page of this form you will find instructions and information about necessary attachments.
- Application for green light (Word)
Step 2: Recruitment and eligibility assessment
Read more about the Entry requirements (eligibility) for doctoral education.
Step 3: Admission decision
The admission process stipulated by KI is strictly followed as described above. A comprehensive financial plan is a requirement at this stage.
Please note that prior to any admission decision, shortlisted candidates are interviewed by representatives of MTC’s faculty. Please contact the study director for more information. Completed forms including all required attachments for admission should be handed to Eva Noréns, the educational administrator at MTC.
You will find the relevant forms to download on the page Forms and documents for doctoral education, on the Staff portal:
- Decision of admission to doctoral education (Word). On the second page of the form you will find instructions and informaton about necessary attachments.
- Financial plan for doctoral student (Word)
Step 4: The digital Individual Study Plan (ISP) and the ISP Seminar
All doctoral students are required to have an ISP. Individual Study Plans are compiled digitally.
There is only one study subject for Doctoral students at Karolinska Institutet, namely "Medical Science".
Please note that:
- The digital ISP needs to be completed within one month after admission.
- The ISP seminar is to be held within three months from the date of admission.
- All the relevant instructions will be sent to the respective doctoral students and their principal supervisors well in advance of the ISP seminar.
Dates for ISP seminars during spring 2023
- 25 January, 14:30
- 22 February, 14:30
- 22 March, 14:30
- 26 April, 14:30
- 24 May, 14:30
- 21 June, 14:30
Yearly Follow Up Seminar
MTC monitors the progress of all doctoral students via a yearly student seminar and a follow up discussion with the student, his/her supervisors and an appointed chairperson.
The chairpersons are representatives of MTC and KI and should implement the rules and regulations in a constructive way, to help the student achieve their academic goals.
The yearly control is a mandatory part of the student’s education plan, required by all universities.
Download routines and forms for the follow-up
Guidelines for Half-time review
All PhD students are required to have a half-time review after four semesters of full-time studies and no later than the end of the fifth semester. More information about KI rules and regulations for half-time review can be found on the Staff portal.
In addition to the KI requirements, all PhD students registered at MTC must pass the Literature Examination in accordance with their study plan.
Read the MTC literature examination guidelines and fill out the form
Time for your thesis defence
Please keep in mind that:
- You need to refer to the study administrator to arrange your thesis defence (date and time) before contacting the committee.
- Your completed application needs to be handed in to the educational administrator at least five working days before the meeting deadline set by the dissertation committee. Failure to do so may delay your submission and subsequently your dissertation.
- A date must be set and confirmed immediately with the educational administrator. As a general rule a maximum of two dissertations can be scheduled at MTC in any one day, i.e., one in the morning and one in the afternoon.
- The educational administrator will help you book a suitable lecture hall and date. Please remember to confirm this date with the educational administrator at MTC!
- The Head of Department and the study director must sign the forms before they are sent to the Dissertation Committee.
Please note that before your thesis is sent to the printers it MUST be checked for plagiarism. You may contact your study director (Studierektor) for the exact procedure.
Send one copy of the doctoral thesis to the study administrator, for official use.
The HR unit at MTC can be reached by email at: firstname.lastname@example.org