Function A: Carrying out minor procedures on animals in research - species specific
Compulsory course for all persons working with laboratory animals and who do not have previous qualifications in laboratory animal science, or who need to document their qualifications. The course is species specific, equivalent to EU Module 1-8 which includes Function C and D (the course is equivalent to FELASA Category B level).
Apply for the Function A course (3160)
Accepted qualification from an EU member state
For those coming from abroad with a mutually accepted qualification from an EU Member State, please contact email@example.com for a competence assessment.
General information about the course
- Successful completion of the course will grant you a course certificate.
- The course is for those who do not have previous qualifications in laboratory animal science for the specific species or need to document their previous qualifications.
- All students at research education level are awarded 3.0 university credits for successful completion of the course.
- All submitted online applications will be processed once a week, Wednesdays 07.30 am-4.00 pm. You will receive an e-mail when the course activities are available for you in Canvas. Courses start continuously online.
- Make sure your application is complete! If the application form is not properly completed it will not be processed. Only applications with a KI project number or a valid KI email/official email address will be considered. Do not use your private e-mail address in the application form.
Species specific education and training
This is a compulsory course in laboratory animal science for all persons at Karolinska Institutet who will work with animals in research. The course consists of a theoretical, web-based component, and a practical component. You need to pass both parts of the course before you can start working with the animals in an animal facility.
The course encompasses any of the following species, according to your needs:
- rodents and rabbits
- fish and cyclostomes (separate course for zebrafish)
- aquatic amphibians (frogs and salamanders)
- non-human primates
Practical skills module
The practical skills module of the Function A course and the subsequent examination are based on defined practical learning outcomes which are species specific.
To book your practical session for any species at Karolinska Institutet, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
NOTE; physical contact with non-human primates during the Function A course is not allowed.