The general rules for admission to doctoral education at Karolinska Institutet are the same for all Departments.
However, there are some specific routines to be followed at the Dept of Women's and Children's Health when applying for admission, i.e. admission application dates, half-time seminar application, travel grants, etc
The application has to be submitted at least one month before the admission seminar to the administrations manager at the Department (see below under the heading "Contact"), often more than one month ahead of the seminar *).
*) Note! Maximum four (4) applications are considered at each admission meeting. You will not be guaranteed a date until your application has been submitted to the Department. So please submit your application at the earliest convenience to guarantee a preferred seminar date.
The application should compose (the original and enclosures):
- By KI approved "General minimum requirements of eligibility to graduate studies"
- The form "Application for admission to graduate studies"
- The form "Individual study plan" - Note! the study plan should also be counter-signed by the head of the Women's and Children's Health unit.
- A project plan (max 5 pages) describing: Background, Aims/Hypothesis, Preliminary results if any, References and ethical considerations. Each substudy should be presented separately containing information on Material and Methods as well as clarification of the applicant's Role / contribution.
- Enclosures: CV, ethical applications + permissions, supervisor training course certificate(s).
- Extra enclosure (when asked for): A list of three external unbiased experts in the field, should the admission committee need a more thorough review of the project plan.
Before submitting the application to the Department, please book a meeting with the administrations manager/contact person (see below). On this occasion, besides checking that your application fulfils the application criteria, you will be guaranteed a seminar date for your presentation.
A written invitation including time and place of the seminar will in due time be sent to the applicant and the main supervisor, who both must be present at the seminar. The co-supervisors as well as the mentor are also free to take part in the seminar. However, should the main supervisor be affiliated to another KI Department, the co-supervisor also has to be present at the seminar, i.e. the presence of a Women's and Children's Health supervisor is compulsory.
The presentation should be in English and last for approximately 10 minutes with focus on the project plan. After the presentation, approximately 10 minutes are set aside for a question time / discussion. At the seminar, also make a short presentation of the "study and work environment" according to guidelines in "Rules for doctoral education at KI".
The application will be discussed by the Committee members behind closed doors after the seminar. The decision on the application will be sent to the applicant as well as to the main supervisor in writing as soon as possible after the seminar.
Admission seminar dates 2016
- August 30th at 4.00 p.m.
- September 28th at 4.00 p.m.
- October 24th at 4.00 p.m.
- December 7th at 4.00 p.m.
PhD Study Director Agneta Nordenskjöld
Administrator Anna Sandberg, phone +46 8 51777385
- Agneta Nordenskjöld, chairman, and PhD study director at the Department
- Anna Nilsson
- Eva Pontén
- Linda Holmström
- Tomas Wester
- Mia Barimani
- Kristiina Tammimies
- Eric Herlenius
- Jelena Milosevic, PhD student
- David Forsberg, PhD student
- Lina Broström, PhD student
- Trausti Oskarsson, PhD student
- Andrea Merker, PhD student
- Soheil Mahdi, PhD student