Admission to research education
The routines of the department are under development.
Establishment of doctoral position and green light
Information and forms are found on KI:s web page.
Mandatory attachments, except those which are mentioned on the form Establishment of doctoral position are:
- A copy of the document certifying that the main supervisor has passed KI´s course on research supervision (or a motivation for exception) + certificate of completion of KI web course (not older than 5 years).
- If you apply for exemption from advertising you must attach the KI financing plan as well.
If you need a green light to apply for KID-funding or scholarships from a KI approved financier (such as National Institutes of Health, China Scholarship Council), send the documents below in original to Catarina Cleveson. If you are granted the funding you must apply for establishment of doctoral position as well.
3. Research plan including a description of the research environment (4-5 pages).
4. All intended supervisors' curriculum vitae, including previous and ongoing supervision (maximum of 2 pages/supervisor).
5. A copy of the document certifying that the main supervisor has passed KI´s course on research supervision (or a motivation for exception) + certificate of completion of KI web course (not older than 5 years).
Note that the review of an application for establishment of doctoral position and green light takes at least 2 weeks. All applications are handed in in original to Catarina Cleveson.
After an approved establishment of doctoral position and a completed recruitment process the form "Decision of admission to doctoral education" with mandatory attachments is sent in original to Catarina Cleveson. If a copy of the document certifying that the main supervisor has passed KI's course on research supervision (or a motivation for exception) + certificate of completion of KI web course (not older than 5 years) were handed in when applying for establishment of doctoral position, these certificates don't need to be handed in again.
Note! We need a copy of the applying doctoral student's passport of a valid Swedish identification card. The copy must be verified and signed by the main supervisor.
Normally the start date for the doctoral student's studies is the same as the date of the head of department's decision. If a later start date is preferred information about this agreed start date must be attached to the application.
Within one month from the start of studies a draft of the individual studyplan (ISP) should be e-mailed to Catarina Cleveson. Signatures are not necessary at this stage, but it is important that we receive information if any considerable changes have been made to the research plan since the decision of establishment of doctoral position, and what changes you have made. When the ISP has been reviewed and is considered complete Catarina Cleveson sends an e-mail to the doctoral student and the main supervisor (with a copy to the involved FoUK-representatives) that an ISP-seminar should be planned for and arranged.
The main supervisor is responsible for arranging an ISP-seminar at the division. The division's FoUK-representative must attend (an invitation should be sent out at least two weeks before the seminar), and if possible, also the second FoUK-representative involved in the admission process (Catarina Cleveson will inform you who this FoUK-representative is). The seminar is to be held in English and should be open for at least all members of the division. For further information on how your division is arranging the seminars, contact your division´s FoUK-representative.
- The FoUK-representative starts the seminar by giving a short presentation about KI, NVS and the division (with a Powerpoint presentation from Catarina Cleveson).
- Supervisors and the doctoral student present themselves (with focus on the doctoral student's presentation).
- A presentation of the research project and an overall view of the first year plan.
- Through discussion the FoUK-representatives and the seminar participants may contribute with good advice, for the main supervisor and the doctoral student to consider after the seminar.
According to KI's instructions no actual critical review of the research plan should be made during the seminar, because such a critical review was made before establishment of the doctoral position.
After the ISP-seminar a complete ISP with signatures in original should be handed in to Catarina Cleveson (the doctoral student makes an appointment). It must be approved within 3 months from the start of studies. If any changes have been made to the research plan you must inform us what these changes are.
If you have questions regarding the admission process at NVS, please contact:
Coordinator of doctoral education at NVS
Phone: 08-524 868 32