Educational requirements for animal experimentation

It is mandatory to have basic education in laboratory animal science before being permitted to work with laboratory animals.

  • Everyone must be adequately educated, trained and competent before working with animals at KI.
  • The knowledge must be species-specific.
  • The requisite competence must be obtained, maintained via continuing professional development (CPD) and demonstrated upon request.

Legal requirements

The care and use of laboratory animals in research is regulated under a common law frame across the EU. Laws and regulations on animal experimentation.

According to Directive 2010/63/EU (Legislation for the protection of animals used for scientific purposes) staff working with animals for specific purposes must be adequately educated and trained.

  • Function A - carrying out procedures (minor:  non surgical and major:  anaesthesia + surgery)
  • Function B - designing procedures or projects
  • Function C - taking care of animals
  • Function D - humanely euthanizing animals (Function D alone not applicable in Sweden)

Education in laboratory animal science at KI

The Laboratory Animal Science (LAS) Education & Training Unit is in charge of keeping training and competence records in laboratory animal science. We offers courses in laboratory animal science to students, doctoral students, researchers and animal technicans at Karolinska Institutet and from other scientific institutions. Education in laboratory animal science.

Education obtained abroad

If you have had previous education and training in Laboratory Animal Science you need to have your existing competence evaluated before applying to the course in Swedish legislation & Ethics. See Gain access authorization to animal facilities for further instructions for the competence may send your records to the LAS Education & Training Unit at Comparative Medicine.

If your LAS education and training has not included topics on Swedish legislation, you generally need to complete the course in Swedish legislation & ethics.

In some cases you may also need the full Function A course or Function B course. If you intend to carry out work or design projects on different animal species, you may need to complete the species-specific Function A or B course. 

Contact us

The Education & Training Unit at Comparative Medicine

Komparativ Medicin