Anaesthesia, analgesia & surgery
The main goal of this course is to provide education and training in anaesthesia and analgesia in laboratory mice and rats. The instructor for this course is the internationally recognised expert Paul Flecknell.
About the course
Procedures causing pain and discomfort in small rodents must be performed under general anaesthesia. Pain relief must be provided postoperatively and also needs to be provided to prevent pain associated with non-surgical procedures. This course will provide the latest information on laboratory animal anaesthesia and the most recently developed methods of pain assessment and alleviation.
Education and training in anaesthesia and surgery is required for staff carrying out (Function A) or designing (Function B) major scientific procedures on animals i.e. procedures that require the use of either anaesthesia or surgery.
LAS CPD credits
- Anaesthesia and analgesia in rats and mice (lectures)
- Recognition and evaluation of pain and distress in rats and mice (lectures and video exercise)
- Intubation, i.v. access (hands-on-practical)
- How to choose between different anaesthetics (theory and hands-on-practical)
- How to monitor general anaesthesia (theory and hands-on-practical)
November 9-13, 2020.
The course location is Karolinska Institutet, Campus Solna.
The course is free for doctoral students and postdocs registered at Karolinska Institutet.
For the rest of KI participants is 7 200 SEK (including INDI), and for externals is 9 500 SEK (excluding VAT).
- Emeritus Professor Paul A Flecknell, MA, VetMB, PhD, DECLAM, DLAS, DECVA, (Hon) DACLAM, FRSB, (Hon) FIAT, (Hon) FRCVS Newcastle University, U.K
- Assoc. Prof. Rafael Frias, DVM, MSc, PhD, Unit for Education and Training in Laboratory Animal Science, Comparative Medicine, Karolinska Institutet.
Autumn 2020: Register here.
No more than 18 partipicants.
Please register as soon as possible - the course will be organized if there is at least ten participants. Priority is given to doctoral students from KI, followed by KI and external participants, in that order.