Speech and language disorders in children children and adolescents
Project group leader
Speech and language disorders have a negative impact on communication. It is common that several aspects of speech and language are affected in the same child, such as speech motor disorders and language disorders associated with autism spectrum disorders, or difficulties with language, attention and literacy.
Our projects involve several areas of communication in children and adolescents. We have projects investigating and describing comorbidity of affected functions, projects aiming at developing clinical assessment instruments and projects aiming at the development and assessment of intervention. Several projects focus on motor speech disorders and characteristics related to childhood apraxia of speech (CAS).
We also investigate how different groups of listeners perceive children’s deviant speech, and how school-aged children with and without developmental language disorders and ADHD manage oral and written narratives.
Project group members
|Anita McAllister||Docent, leg logoped||Projektledare|
|Sofia Strömbergsson||Postdoc, leg logoped||Projektledare|
|Päivikki Aarne||Med dr, Leg logoped||Forskare|
|Susanne Rex||Leg logoped||Doktorand|
|Åsa Mogren||Leg logoped||Doktorand|
|Ann Malmenholt||Leg logoped||Doktorand|
|Anna Eva Hallin||Leg logoped||Postdoc|
- Comorbidity of Apraxia in Children with Autism (with Päivikki Aarne, Karolinska University Hospital & Karolinska Institutet, Katarina Lindström, Karolinska University Hospital & Karolinska Institutet, Laura DeThorne, University of Illinois, Ann Malmenholt, Karolinska University Hospital & Karolinska Institutet)
- Functional consequences of children’s misarticulation in continuous speech (with Sofia Strömbergsson (PI), Jens Edlund, Royal Institute of Technology, Kristina Nilsson Björkenstam, Stockholm University, Tove Lagerberg, Gothenburg University)
- Perceptual voice and speech disorders in individuals with compromised respiration (with Kerstin Johansson (PI) Karolinska University Hospital & Karolinska Institutet)
- Development of a clinical guide for further assessment of orofacial functions, Nordic Oralmotor Test-Screening, NOT-S, (with Lotta Sjögreen, Mun-H Center, Merete Bakke, University of Copenhagen, Birgitta Bergendal, Center for rare disorders, Jönköping, Pamela Åsten, TAKO-senter, Oslo)
- Speech sound disorders in children; Differential diagnosis, comorbidity and intervention in Childhood Apraxia of Speech (with Susanne Rex, Kristina Hansson, Lund University, Edythe Strand, the Mayo Clinic)
- Jaw function and occlusion in children with orofacial dysfunction and motor speech disorders (with Åsa Mogren, Monica Barr Agholme, Karolinska Institutet, Lotta Sjögreen, Mun-H Center)
- To explain and to narrate - narrative and expository spoken and written texts in Swedish school-age children Anna Eva Hallin (PI).
- SALT in Swedish – a language analyses tool for clinicians. Anna Eva Hallin, Karolinska Institutet, Ketty Andersson, Lunds Universitet, and Maria Levlin, Umeå Universitet.
- Inventorying, evaluation and trialling of instruments for the assessment of language skills, functioning and activity. With Sofia Strömbergsson, Karolinska Institutet, in collaboration with Talkliniken Danderyds sjukhus, Stockholm.
- Contardo, I., McAllister, A., Strömbergsson, S. (2014). Real-time registration of listener reactions to unintelligibility in misarticulated child speech. In Proceedings of Fonetik, Stockholm, Sweden, 2014.
- Bergendal, B, Bakke, M, McAllister, A, Sjögreen, L, Ågren, P. (2014). Profiles of orofacial dysfunction in different diagnostic groups using the Nordic Orofacial Test (NOT-S) – a review. Acta Odontol Scand ,72;8, 578-84
- Lundeborg I, Nordin , E., Zeipel-Stjerna, M., McAllister A. (2015). Voice onset time in Swedish children with phonological impairment. Logopedics Phoniatrics, Vocology, Dec;40(4):149-55
- Tükel, Ş, Björelius, H, Henningsson, G, McAllister, A, Eliasson, A C. (2015). Motor functions and adaptive behaviour in children with Childhood Apraxia of Speech. International Journal of Speech-Language Pathology, 17(5):470-80.
- Hallin, A.E., Garcia, G.D. & Reuterskiöld, C. (2016). The use of causal language and filled pauses in children with and without autism. Child Development Research, 2016, 1-11. doi: 10.1155/2016/8535868.
- Bergendal B, McAllister A. (2017). Orofacial function and monitoring of oral care in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Acta Odontol Scand. 2017;75:179-185.Epub 2017 Jan 12.
- Hallin, A.E. & Reuterskiöld, C. (2017). Error type and lexical frequency effects: Error detection in Swedish children with language impairment. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research, 60(10), 2924-2934. doi:10.1044/2017_JSLHR-L-16-0294
- Johansson, K., Robieux, C., Strömbergsson, S., McAllister, A. (2017). Perceptual Detection of Subtle Dysphonic Traits in Individuals with Cervical Spinal Cord Injury Using an Audience Response Systems Approach. J Voice, Jan;31(1):126.e7-126.e17
- Malmenholt, A., Lohmander, A., McAllister, A. (2017). Childhood Apraxia of Speech: a survey of knowledge and competence. Logopedics Phoniatrics, Vocology, 42:2, 84-92.
- Strömbergsson, S., Edlund, J., Götze, J., & Nilsson Björkenstam, K. (2017). Approximating phonotactic input in children’s linguistic environments from orthographic transcripts. Proc. of Interspeech 2017 (pp. 2213-2217). Stockholm, Sweden.
- Dahlgren, S-O; Sandberg, A. D.; Strömbergsson, S.; Råstam, M.; Wenhov, L.; Nettelbladt, U. (2018). Prosodic traits in speech produced by children with autism spectrum disorders - Perceptual and acoustic measurements. Autism & Developmental Language Impairments, 3, 1-10.
- Hallin, A.E. & Reuterskiöld, C. (2018). Effects of frequency and morpho-syntactic structure on error detection, correction, and repetition in Swedish-speaking children. Applied Psycholinguistics, (early online), 1-32. Doi:10.1017/S0142716418000280.
- Malmenholt, A., McAllister, A., Lohmander, A. (2018). Orofacial Function, Articulation Proficiency, and Intelligibility in 5-Year-Old Children Born With Cleft Lip and Palate. The Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Journal. Article first published online: June 15, 2018 https://doi.org/10.1177/1055665618783154
- McAllister A, Brodén M, Gonzalez Lindh M, Krüssenberg C, Ristic I, Rubensson A, and Sjögreen L. (2018). Oral Sensory-Motor Intervention for Children and adolescents (3-18 Years) with Developmental or Early Acquired Speech Disorders – A Review of the Literature 2000-2017. Ann Otolaryngol Rhinol, 5(5): 1221.
- Sjögreen L, Gonzalez Lindh M, Brodén M, Krüssenberg C, Ristic I, Rubensson A, McAllister A. (2018). Oral sensory-motor intervention for children and adolescents (3-18 years) with congenital or early acquired disabilities and dysphagia or impaired saliva control – a review of the literature 2000-2016. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 127(12):978-985. doi: 10.1177/0003489418803963. Epub 2018 Oct 8.
- Wikse Barrow, C., Nilsson Björkenstam, K., & Strömbergsson, S. (2018). Subjective ratings of age-of-acquisition: Exploring issues of validity and rater reliability. Journal of Child Language, 1-15.