Skip to main content

Internationalization - Speech and Language Pathology


Collaboration & Internationalization

National collaboration

The Division of Speech and Language Pathology at KI collaborates with corresponding units at the country's educational institutions in Lund, Gothenburg, Linköping, Uppsala and Umeå at annual education meetings as well as in networks and interactive websites for education and research collaborations. Research collaboration is also effectuated with other institutions and organizations.

International activities at the Study Programme in Speech and Language Pathology


The meaning of the concept internationalizationis to create conditions and opportunities for collaboration and understanding between countries. Different activities with this aim are conducted at the Division of speech and language pathology, both in research and education.

Ellika Schalling is responsible for the work with internationalization at the Study Programme in Speech and Language Pathology. Strategic decisions are made by the education committee at CLINTEC, but a working group with student- and teacher representation prepares questions and activities.

Internationalization at Home

During the academic year, 1-2 seminars on internationalization are arranged for students and teachers. This is a way to capture experiences by students and teachers of studying or teaching abroad. Occasionally, guest-teachers are invited to speak about a topic related to internationalization.

International collaborations

SLT Summer School (previously the Intensive Program, IP)

The SLT summer school is a one-week summer course in speech and language pathology that takes place in August every year. The program originates from the European Intensive Program, previously funded by the European Union but has since 2011 changed format to a self-financing consortium. The program includes lectures and seminars on various topics related to speech and language pathology. Teaching is in English and is held by teachers from the universities participating in the network organizing the course. The Division of Speech and Language Pathology, KI, is part of the network and both teachers and students participate in the course. About 20 universities from 15 countries in Europe as well as from the US, Hong Kong and Taiwan are part of the network. Students who have completed four semesters of the Study Program in Speech and Language Pathology may apply to the SLT summer school. More information about the programme and the application process is available in the beginning of the spring semester for students in the 4th and 6th semester.

Study abroad

Exchange studies
In order to study abroad within an exchange program you have to be registered as a student at the Study Program in Speech and Language Pathology and have completed at least 60 credits. There has to be an agreement between the Study Program of Speech and Language Pathology at KI and the university you wish to study at. The agreement also entitles you to a small financial contribution to travel costs.

There are currently bilateral agreements between the study programme in speech and language pathology at KI and University of Copenhagen, University of Illinois and University of Sao Paulo for student exchange. There are also bilateral agreements between Sheffield University and Padua University and KI regarding teacher exchange. If you have questions, contact Ellika Schalling (with questions about education) and the international student coordinator Karen Gustafsson (with questions concerning applications and general questions about exchange studies)

Global health, 7,5 credits

Speech and language pathology students in their 7th semester can take the elective course Global Health. Usually about six spaces are reserved for SLP-students, but this may vary somewhat from year to year. The application to the course is submitted during the 6th semester. The course consists of three weeks theoretical studies on public health issues at KI followed by two weeks of field-studies abroad.

More information about the course Global health

On your own
It is also possible to study abroad on your own, as a so called free mover. It means that you arrange the studies and the trip yourself. In this case you dont receive any support from the KI with finding housing, travel stipends, insurances, guaranteed access to courses etc. You take a leave of absence from the KI during your study period abroad. It is important to discuss study plans with course coordinators at the KI before you travel to avoid later problems with accrediting courses at a later point.

Teaching abroad

For teachers
Opportunities to teach abroad are available both in the Nordic countries and in Europe via the international agreements. The Study Program in Speech and Language Pathology has bilateral agreements for teachers exchange with University of Copenhagen and Sheffield University. Expenses for travel and subsistence costs are reimbursed through the agreements. The terms for these exchange programs vary but usually at least eight hours of teaching during a few days or a week and an existing agreement between the universities are required. If you want to know more, contact Ellika Schalling.