Associate Professor at Karolinska Institutet with over ten years of experience in research and education in toxicology and environmental medicine. Risk assessment and science-to-policy is my main field of interest and I have active projects both at Swetox (Swedish center for toxicological sciences) and at the Institute of Environmental Medicine.
I enjoy working in the truely multi-disciplinary research field of chemical risk assessment and has a large network of contacts among Swedish and international agencies and organizations.
Beside ordinary research activities I am chairing the National Committee for European Registered toxicologists (ERT) and are a Swedish representative the the Nordic Expert Group, a Nordic collaboration for production of criteria documents on chemicals for occupational exposure limits.
Current research projects as main project leader:
- Experimental design aligned with dose-response modelling as a means for 3R in toxicity testing (Financial support: Swedish Research Council)
- Bayesian dose-response modelling aligned with experimental design as means to improve chemical risk assessment (Financial support: Swedish Research Council)
- Kemiska olyckor i arbetslivet – systematisk analys av giftinformationscentralens arbetsmiljörelaterade data (Financial support: AFA Försäkring)
Other reasech projects:
- EDC-MixRisk, safe chemicals for future generations (Financial support: European Union’s Horizon 2020)
- EDC-2020, a project about endocrine disrupting chemicals (Financial support: Formas)
- Elimination and effects of PFAS in drinking water in Sweden (Collaboration with Lund University).
- Modern methods for estimation of in vivo dose and genotoxic potency as components for cancer risk assessment (Collaboration with Stockholm University).
- DECRA: Developing Comparative Risk Assessment into a useful tool for substituting hazardous chemicals (Collaboration with Gothenburg University)
My teaching activities include lectures, cource leadership, supervising master and PhD student.
I have been the main supervisor for two PhD students:
- Mia Johansson (2016) - Asthmatics as a susceptible population in health risk assessment of airbourne chemicals
- Joakim Ringblom (2016) - Worth weighting for - Studies on benchmark dose analysis in relation to animal ethics in toxicity testing
Advancing the 3Rs in regulatory toxicology - Carcinogenicity testing: Scope for harmonisation and advancing the 3Rs in regulated sectors of the European Union
Regulatory toxicology and pharmacology : RTP 2014;69(2):234-42
Aerial Application of Mancozeb and Urinary Ethylene Thiourea (ETU) Concentrations among Pregnant Women in Costa Rica: The Infants' Environmental Health Study (ISA)
ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH PERSPECTIVES 2014;122(12):1321-8
Current modeling practice may lead to falsely high benchmark dose estimates
Regulatory toxicology and pharmacology : RTP 2014;69(2):171-7
How are asthmatics included in the derivation of guideline values for emergency planning and response?
REGULATORY TOXICOLOGY AND PHARMACOLOGY 2012;63(3):461-70
The point of transition on the dose-effect curve as a reference point in the evaluation of in vitro toxicity data
JOURNAL OF APPLIED TOXICOLOGY 2012;32(10):843-9
Benchmark dose approaches in chemical health risk assessment in relation to number and distress of laboratory animals
REGULATORY TOXICOLOGY AND PHARMACOLOGY 2010;58(3):451-4
Discrepancy among acute guideline levels for emergency response
JOURNAL OF HAZARDOUS MATERIALS 2010;184(1-3):439-47
HEALTH IMPACT ASSESSMENT OF ENVIRONMENTAL TOBACCO SMOKE IN EUROPEAN CHILDREN: SUDDEN INFANT DEATH SYNDROME AND ASTHMA EPISODES
PUBLIC HEALTH REPORTS 2010;125(3):478-87
Adult smoking as a proxy for environmental tobacco smoke exposure among children - Comparing the impact of the level of information in Estonia, Finland and Latvia
PREVENTIVE MEDICINE 2009;49(2-3):240-4
Exposure to dioxin-like pollutants via different food commodities in Swedish children and young adults
FOOD AND CHEMICAL TOXICOLOGY 2008;46(11):3360-7
Occurrence and levels of environmental chemicals in human milk in the general population
TOXICOLOGY LETTERS 2006;:S117-S117
Identification of the tryptophan photoproduct 6-formylindolo[3,2-b]carbazole, in cell culture medium, as a factor that controls the background aryl hydrocarbon receptor activity
TOXICOLOGICAL SCIENCES 2005;85(2):935-43
Subchronic toxicity of Baltic herring oil and its fractions in the rat (III) bone tissue composition and dimension, and ratio of n-6/n-3 fatty acids in serum phospholipids
BASIC & CLINICAL PHARMACOLOGY & TOXICOLOGY 2005;96(6):453-64
Identification of factors that controls the CYP1A1 background activity in vitro
TOXICOLOGY AND APPLIED PHARMACOLOGY 2004;197(3):216-216
Subchronic toxicity of Baltic herring oil and its fractions in the rat I: Fractionation and levels of organohalogen pollutants
PHARMACOLOGY & TOXICOLOGY 2002;91(5):220-31
Subchronic toxicity of Baltic herring oil and its fractions in the rat II: Clinical observations and toxicological parameters
PHARMACOLOGY & TOXICOLOGY 2002;91(5):232-44
Tissue distribution and half-lives of individual polychlorinated biphenyls and serum levels of 4-hydroxy-2,3,3 ',4 ',5-pentachlorobiphenyl in the rat
TOXICOLOGICAL SCIENCES 2002;70(2):171-82
Multivariate modelling of polychlorinated biphenyl-induced CYP1A activity in the MH1C1 rat hepatoma cell line
ATLA-ALTERNATIVES TO LABORATORY ANIMALS 2001;29(3):291-5