Göran is Senior Professor of International Health Systems Research and senior advisor to the Health Systems and Policy research group, jointly appointed to the Department of Public Health Sciences and the Medical Management Centre (MMC) at the Department of Learning, Informatics, Management and Ethics (LIME) at Karolinska Institutet. He is also a Visiting Professor at Shandong University in China.
His extensive research and policy work focuses on universal health coverage and has been conducted in countries such as China, Kenya, Lao PDR, Sweden, Tanzania, Uganda, Vietnam and Zambia. His experience in the field of health policy and systems research has led to his appointment to various organizational committees, including:
- Senior advisor for the WHO EVIPNet (Evidence Informed Policy Network)
- Chairing the WHO Scientific Advisory Committee's Alliance for Health Policy Systems Research
- WHO European Advisory Committee on Health Research
- Board member of the GLOBVAC Norwegian Research Council
- Health Policy and Systems Committee of the Netherlands Organization for Scientific Research WOTRO Science for Global Development
- Swedish Research Council's Committee for Development Research
- Consultant to the Dag Hammarskjöld Foundation
- Board member of the China Centre for Health Development Studies at Peking University
Along with his research and advisory work, Göran also teaches health systems and policy courses at the Master's and PhD levels.
For more information please see HSP grp link
Professor of International Health Systems Research, Karolinska Institutet, 2004.
PhD in Health Systems Research and Drug Utilization, Karolinska Institutet, 1990.
Specialist Phsyician in Family Medicine, 1985.
Specialist Physician in Pediatrics, 1980.
Medical Degree, Karolinska Institutet, 1973.
Göran's research has the ambition to contribute to universal health coverage with accessibility to good quality of care, especially to vulnerable groups in resource-poor settings, and he has conducted many intervention studies in complex social systems. His research uses a systems thinking approach within the six different health systems building blocks: service delivery, financing, leadership and governance, medicines and technologies, human resources, and information.
In an external research assessment (ERA) at Karolinska Institutet, the Health System and Policy research group was described as an "outstanding research constellation, demonstrating an excellent performance in undertaking health systems and policy research and getting research into policy and practice".
Göran is engaged in health policy formulation and implementation both globally and nationally. His interests include how to reverse the inverse care law - those with the greatest need get the least and lowest quality care - and knowledge translation and evidence informed policies, and capacity building at the individual (Master's and PhD students) and institutional levels.
Ongoing projects at KI include:
- SMART2D EC Horizon 2020 funded diabetes type 2 South Africa, Sweden and Uganda
- KI-Makerere Collaboration: A research collaboration between the universities to promote capacity building and research training, while improving access to quality care for both children with fever, non-communicable diseases such as diabetes mellitus Type 2, and pregnant women. Sida
- Patients choice in Swedish primary care - a natural experiment Forte
- PLIS: Implementing evidence-based guidelines for stroke care in Sweden Vårdal
- LITA: Improving teamwork among health care professionals by increasing doctors' involvement and leadership AFA
- IMPACT: the Sino-Swedish Integrated Multisectorial Partnership for Containment of Antibiotic Resistance, to minimize emergency and dissemination of antibiotic resistance VR
Health Policy and Management PhD course
Health Systems and Policy basic and advanced modules masters course
Health Systems Global Health course
Academic honours, awards and prizes
Dr. Satya Pal Oration Award from the National Academy of Medical Sciences, India (2004).
Heidelberg University Silver Medal for long and outstanding cooperation, 2014
From the Get Inspired by a Professor lecture series at Karolinska Institutet, Göran's lecture titled "Our Common Future - Reflections of a health systems researcher".
An introductory lecture on health systems:
An introductory lecture on health policy: