I am currently a postdoctoral fellow at Harvard School of Public Health and Karolinska Institutet, IMM, unit of Epidemiology. My background is in nutrition with degrees both from Karolinska and the Shahid Beheshti University in Tehran. In March of 2016, I defended my thesis on environmental risk factors for LADA-latent autoimmune diabetes in adults at Karolinska. Since then, I have continued my work on adult onset autoimmune diabetes, focusing on gene*lifestyle interaction. Much of my work is based on Norwegian cohort HUNT study with 22-year follow-up, and the ongoing Swedish population-based case-control ESTRID study, which has a strong focus on environmental risk factors for LADA and type 2 diabetes and gene*lifestyle interaction.
I have started a postdoc fellowship at Harvard School of Public Health, department of Global Health. This, will provide a unique opportunity to expand my knowledge and expertise in epidemiological methods and to acquire invaluable new knowledge in the field of global and public health. In my future research I want to focus on primary prevention of diabetes with a global perspective.
2012-2016 Ph.D. Medical Science, Karolinska Institutet, Sweden
• Specialized in Diabetes Epidemiology
2011-2012 Pre Ph.D., Karolinska Institutet, Sweden
2009-2011 M.Sc. Public Health Nutrition, Karolinska Institutet, Sweden
• Qualitative/Quantitative Methods, Public Health Interventions
1999-2003 B.Sc. Nutrition, Shahid Beheshti University, Tehran, Iran
• Clinical & Community Nutrition, Medical Nutrition Therapy
Title of PhD Thesis: Alcohol, tobacco and the risk of LADA-latent autoimmune diabetes in adults
I have been involved for several years in teaching epidemiological methods within the master program of Public Health at Karolinska Institutet (2013-date).
Academic honours, awards and prizes
- Novo Nordisk Foundation, A 4 year postdoc grant (Harvard school of public health [2.5 years]+ Karolinska Institutet [1.5 years]), 2017
- Karolinska Institutet research grant (KI-fonder), 2016
- Travel grant from the Swedish Society of Medicine (Svenska Läkaresällskapet), 2015
- Young Investigators Award, Scandinavian Society for the Study of Diabetes (SSSD), 2013