I am a researcher at the Department of Public Health Sciences and currently employed as a research coordinator in the research group of Social Epidemiology. By the background, I am a medical doctor with specialization in epidemiology. In 2007 I defended my PhD in epidemiology at the Institute of Environmental Medicine, Karolinska Institutet. I was then working as a postdoctoral researcher at the Department of Public Health Sciences and the Institute of Environmental Medicine, KI. On completion of the postdoc period, I worked as an assistant professor (FoAss) at the Department of Public Health Sciences, KI.
My main areas of research are epidemiology and public health sciences with a particular focus on substance use epidemiology, intergenerational transmission of health and ill-health determinants and register-based methodology. In addition, my research involves conducting systematic reviews and meta-analyses.
At the Department of Public Health Sciences I have been and I am currently involved in the PhD, Master and Bachelor Programmes in Public Health Sciences and Epidemiology carrying out my duties as a course organizer, examiner and a teacher.
Commissions of trust:
- Member of the Programme Board for Public Health and Global Health master education at Karolinska Institutet (the Programme Board 5) (2011-2016)
- Member of the Programme Committee for Public Health and Global Health master education at the Department of Public Health Sciences, Karolinska Institutet (2012-ongoing)
- Member of the Department Council at the Department of Public Health Sciences, Karolinska Institutet (2014-ongoing)
- Member of the Karolinska Institutet Junior Faculty Steering Committee, Karolinska Institutet (2014-ongoing)
- Junior Faculty representative at the Department of Public Health Sciences, Karolinska Institutet (2013-ongoing)
- Member of the International Recruitment and Marketing reference group (IRMA) Karolinska Institutet (2013-ongoing)
- Member of the Steering Group “Epidemiology / Biostatistics progression group” within the PhD programme in Epidemiology, Karolinska Institutet (2014-2015)
- Medical Doctor, St. Petersburg State Medical Academy named after I.I.Mechnikov, St Petersburg, Russia (1996)
- Postgraduate specialization in Occupational Medicine, National Institute for Working Life, Stockholm, Sweden, (1997-1998)
- Postgraduate specialization in Environmental Medicine, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden (1999-2000)
- Candidate of Medical Sciences, St. Petersburg State Medical Academy, St Petersburg, Russia (2000)
- Ph.D.in Epidemiology; Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden (2007)
I am running a series of interdisciplinary projects, collaborating within and outside of KI as well as internationally. The projects are primarily population-based, register-based cohort studies with multigenerational linkages and a special focus on: transmission and accumulation of substance use harm within and between several consecutive generations; life-course and intergenerational predictors and consequences of substance use, including social causation and social selection mechanisms; and cross-generational patterns of substance use. The projects also deal with health and social inequalities in migrants as well as include a series of systematic reviews and meta-analyses.
Course organizer (co-organizer), examiner and teacher:
- “Epidemiology I:introduction to Epidemiology”, 1577 (2013-ongoing)
- “How to conduct systematic reviews and meta-analyses”, 2790 (2014-ongoing)
- “Introduction to Public Health Sciences”, 4FH004 (2010-ongoing)
- “Methods for outcome evaluation of Public Health interventions”, 4FH045 (2013-2014)
- “Epidemiology III: Analysis and interpretation of epidemiological data”, 1684 (2016)
- “Study of social determinants in relation to public health problems” a 1-week session within the master course “Applied Epidemiology 2, 4FH047 (2011-2014)
- “More about methods and ethics”, (2011-2012)
- “Collecting and organizing data” (2011-2012)
- “Introduction to Public Health Epidemiology”, (2010-2011)
- “Pathology” (2012)
- “Quantitative methods” (2011)
Academic honours, awards and prizes
Research funding obtained as principal investigator:
- Medel för forskningsanknytning, Karolinska institutet (2014, 2015, 2016)
- The European Foundation for Alcohol Research (ERAB), Belgium (2013)
- The Alcohol Research Council of the Swedish Alcohol Retailing Monopoly (Systembolagets råd för alkoholforskning (SRA)), Stockholm, Sweden (2011, 2013, 2016)
Research funding obtained as co-applicant:
The European Foundation for Alcohol Research (ERAB), Belgium (2016)
- Swedish Asthma and Allergy Foundation, Stockholm, Sweden (2005, 2007)
- Swedish Royal Academy of Sciences, Stockholm, Sweden (2005, 2007)
- Swedish Institute, Stockholm, Sweden (2006)
Translation of questionnaire increases the response rate in immigrants: Filling the language gap or feeling of inclusion?
SCANDINAVIAN JOURNAL OF PUBLIC HEALTH 2010;38(8):889-92
Socioeconomic differences in lung cancer incidence: a systematic review and meta-analysis
CANCER CAUSES & CONTROL 2009;20(4):459-71
Cytomegalovirus infection and development of allergic diseases in early childhood: Interaction with EBV infection?
JOURNAL OF ALLERGY AND CLINICAL IMMUNOLOGY 2004;114(6):1434-40
Epstein-Barr virus infection is not associated with development of allergy in children
PEDIATRIC INFECTIOUS DISEASE JOURNAL 2003;22(7):642-7
Antibody responses against B-cell epitopes of the hypervariable region 1 of hepatitis C virus in self-limiting and chronic human hepatitis C followed-up using consensus peptides
JOURNAL OF MEDICAL VIROLOGY 2002;66(2):204-17