Information for incoming academic refugees from Ukraine

On this page we gather information for you who due to the war in Ukraine want to study or work at Karolinska Institutet.

For undergraduate students

There is currently limited possibility to participate in undergraduate programs unless the Swedish government modifies its rules & regulations (see below).

For postgraduate students

Identify a research group that is conducting research similar to that of your own PhD project, and contact the principal investigator to discuss potential collaborative projects.

For Researchers

Identify a research group that is conducting research similar to your own interests and contact the principal investigator to discuss potential collaborative projects.

Current rules and regulations

Formal admission to education

If you wish to be formally enrolled as a student at KI, you must be admitted in accordance with the rules of the Higher Education Ordinance (the Higher Education Ordinance and KI's Admission Scheme for undergraduate and advanced level education and the Admission Scheme for postgraduate education).

  • Most undergraduate education programmes (e.g. medicine) are taught using Swedish and thus knowledge of the Swedish language is required.
  • The Bachelor's program in Biomedicine and the Global Master’s programmes are given in English where no prior knowledge of Swedish is required.
  • Most PhD courses are taught using English and most research groups use English as the language for communication.
  • Formal applications for all Bachelor’s and Master’s in English are made via Universityadmissions and selection is in open competition.

You do not need to pre-verify any of your documents supporting your eligibility for courses, this is done as part of the application process. If you do not have access to your documents or have questions about the recognition of your foreign qualifications, please contact UHR by email or telephone: 010-470 03 00.

Available advertised PhD positions

Tuition fees

A refugee undergraduate or PhD student from the war in Ukraine does not need to pay a tuition fee once they have received a temporary residence permit in Sweden, in accordance with the Temporary Protection Directive. To be eligible for this Directive, the student must have left Ukraine on 24th February 2022 or later (or alternatively have already been in Sweden since 30 October 2021).


The European Commission has now provided further information on how Erasmus+ can be used for Ukrainian students in Sweden. KI is looking into this possibility. This page will be updated as soon as any decisions are made.

Research positions

All positions must be advertised and appointed on the basis of merit and skill. There are exceptions according to the employment regulations when researchers have received funding in their own name.

Residence permit according to the Temporary Protection Directive 

The directive applies to: 

  • Ukrainian citizens residing in Ukraine before February 24, 2022 
  • persons with a residence permit as a refugee or alternatively in need of protection in Ukraine 
  • family members of the two above. 

  To be covered by the directive, you must have left the country on 24 February 2022 or later.  If you came to Sweden on 30 October 2021 or later, you can also apply for protection under the Temporary Protection Directive starting 26 April.   People apply by registering and presenting a biometric home country passport or other Ukrainian identity documents with the Swedish Migration Agency, as well as leaving fingerprints and being photographed. Ukrainian citizens with a valid passport or other ID document can apply for temporary protection on the web and leave biometrics later.

Persons covered by the Temporary Protection Directive receive a residence permit with temporary protection. The temporary protection is valid for a first stage until 4 March 2023 and can be extended for six months at a time for one year and after that for another year, at most for three years.    Once you have received your permit, you have the right to work, the right to seek basic care, the right to schooling for children and certain financial assistance in Sweden. The UT card states that a residence permit has been granted for temporary protection.


The Swedish Migration Agency can offer temporary accommodation, but you must not choose where to live but must be prepared to move to a city where there are vacant homes.