Collaborative Sustainable Actions
The Stockholm Trio for Sustainable Actions is a collaborative effort to increase the capacity of the universities to contribute to the achievement of the 17 Sustainable Development Goals.
Karolinska Institutet, KTH and Stockholm University have previously collaborated within the Stockholm Trio university alliance. Now, the Trio is taking a more active role in addressing society's sustainability challenges. On 1 June 2022, at the conference "Sustainable planet, sustainable health - how science-based solutions can drive transformative change" (link to the conference website), the three universities launched the Stockholm Trio for Sustainable Actions. This collaborative effort aims to increase the capacity of the universities to contribute to the achievement of the 17 Sustainable Development Goals.
The Stockholm Trio for Sustainable Actions will create the conditions to increase collaboration and innovation for sustainable solutions, jointly and in collaboration with other actors. The initiative has a particular focus on climate and global health. By combining the knowledge and expertise of the three universities, complex societal challenges can be addressed from a multidisciplinary perspective. Working together, the higher education institutions can drive the sustainability agenda locally, nationally and internationally to achieve the necessary societal transformation.
The Stockholm Trio for Sustainable Actions will:
- Strengthen the Stockholm Trio itself as well as the individual universities in the area of sustainability.
- Strengthen the universities’ capacity to strategically contribute knowledge for the rapid, science-based decisions necessary for sustainable societal transformation.
- Enable new interdisciplinary research and education in close cooperation with the city, region, non-profit organisations and industry (inter- and multidisciplinary education).
- Strengthen society in terms of climate, health, innovation systems and entrepreneurship.
The Stockholm Trio for Sustainable Actions intends to offer:
- A single point of contact for external stakeholders
- Scientific support and advice
- Reports, policies, dialogues and conferences
- Improved links between people and structures within and between the three universities
- Tailor-made, interdisciplinary education linked to lifelong learning
- The universities will each invest SEK 1 million annually for four years.
- External funding is sought for various assignments and collaborations.
- Allocation of additional internal resources may be needed for specific initiatives and activities.
- The Stockholm Trio's sustainable development group is responsible for the establishment.