I received my PhD degree in 2017 from the University of Coimbra, Portugal, where I developed research on the role of sirtuins in mitochondrial function and dynamics in neurodegenerative models. During the following year I was involved in a project in collaboration with Teva Pharmaceutical Industries exploring mitochondria-ER signaling, which brought me to a research group working in this subject at KI.
I am currently developing my postdoc research at the Department of Neurobiology, Care Science and Society (NVS) at the Center for Alzheimer Research, working with Professor Maria Ankarcrona.
- PhD in Neurosciences from Faculty of Medicine, Univeristy of Coimbra (Portugal)
- Master in Biotecnology for Health Sciences from University of Trás-od-Montes and Alto Douro (Portugal)
- Bachelor in Genetics from University of Trás-od-Montes and Alto Douro (Portugal)
´Mitochondria are the clandestine rulers of our world´
My current research aim the study of mitochondrial function, dynamics and organelle interplay (mitochondria associated membranes) in neurodegeneration, particularly in Alzheimer’s disease. The identification and characterization of mitochondrial-based molecular targets for therapeutic intervention is our ultimate goal.
Previuos research also includes mitochondria studies in Huntington´s, Machado-Joseph and insulin resistance models.
Akademiska priser och utmärkelser
- Awarded with IBRO International Travel Grant Funding Program (2016)
- Best poster presentation in 2nd PF2MUC Symposium, University of Coimbra (2012)
- ‘Prémio UTAD’, graduated with better grade in 2009/2010 school year in School of Life Sciences and Environment, University of Trás-os-Montes e Alto Douro (2011)