Speech and language pathologist since 1985, PhD at Karolinska Institutet (KI) 1997 within voice function and voice disorders in children. Between 2003-2013 senior lecturer at, Linköping University. Started and was in charge of the speech and language pathology (SLP) program there between 2003 and 2011. Associate professor in speech and language pathology at Linköping University in 2008, transferred to KI in 2014. Chair person in the program committee for speech and language pathology and audiology educations (PN4) at KI between August 2013 and December 2015. Main areas of interest are voice and speech disorders in children including apraxia of speech and oral sensorimotor dysfunctions.
Clinically I have worked primarily with children with voice, speech and oral sensorimotor disorders.
Course coordinator for several courses within voice, speech and communication disorders on the SLP program. Semester coordinator for semester four and five.
Supervise master and PhD thesis work. Main supervisor for SLP’s Susanne Rex, Åsa Mogren and Lovisa Femrell, co-supervisor for SLP Ann Malmenholt.
Also interested in pedagogical matters pertaining to improved learning with a special interest in interprofessional learning (IPL).
My research interest is quite broad but focus on description, assessment and effects of oral sensorimotor and speech disorders and environmental factors related to voice and communication disorders. Both areas focus on children.
Aims of current projects
- Describe preschool teachers and children’s opinion and knowledge on sound, noise, voice and communication through focus group interviews
- Develop an educational material for preschool teachers and children about sound, noise, voice and communication based on the results from the interviews
- Investigate respiratory and voice function in individuals with cervical spinal cord injuries
- Develop assessment protocols for children with orofacial disorders and childhood apraxia of speech (CAS)
- Evaluate interventions for children with motor based speech disorders and CAS
National and international co-operations
- Nordplus Horizontal 2012- HZ 2012_1a-30063 "How does it work? Voice, speech and communication in cooperation with Valdís Jónsdóttir, University of Akureyri and Leena Rantala, Tampere University.
- The Nordic Orofacial Test (NOT-S) for assessment of orofacial functions http://www.mun-h-center.se/sv/Mun-H-Center/MHC-Forlag/Orofaciala-test/NOT-S-Nordiskt-Orofacialt-Test--Screening-/ in cooperation with Merete Bakke, University of Copenhagen, Pamela Åsten, Tako-center, Oslo, Birgitta Bergendal, National Oral Disability Centre for Rare Disorders and Lotta Sjögreen, Mun-H-Center Sweden.
- Acoustic and physiological aspects of kulning in cooperation with Robert Eklund, Linköping University, Anna-Maria Laukkanen, Tampere University, Ahmed Geneid, Helsingfors University Hospital, Fanny Pehrson, Mora.
- Contributes to the yearly reports in a national quality registry, HabQ, http://www.liu.se/habq?l=sv
- Respiration and voice function in individuals with cervical spinal cord injuries in cooperation with Kerstin Johansson, Karolinska University Hospital
Voice onset time in Swedish children with phonological impairment
Logopedics, phoniatrics, vocology 2015;40(4):149-55
Learning in the tutorial group: A balance between individual freedom and institutional control
CLINICAL LINGUISTICS & PHONETICS 2014;28(1-2):47-59
Profiles of orofacial dysfunction in different diagnostic groups using the Nordic Orofacial Test (NOT-S)--a review
Acta odontologica Scandinavica 2014;72(8):578-84
Children's voice and voice disorders
Seminars in speech and language 2013;34(2):71-9
Collision and phonation threshold pressures before and after loud, prolonged vocalization in trained and untrained voices
Journal of voice : official journal of the Voice Foundation 2013;27(5):527-30
Effects on vocal fold collision and phonation threshold pressure of resonance tube phonation with tube end in water
Journal of speech, language, and hearing research : JSLHR 2013;56(5):1530-8
Impaired language function in generalized epilepsy: inadequate suppression of the default mode network
Epilepsy & behavior : E&B 2013;28(1):26-35
A Comparison of Recordings of Sentences and Spontaneous Speech: Perceptual and Acoustic Measures in Preschool Children's Voices
JOURNAL OF VOICE 2012;26(5):673.e1-5
Acoustic and Perceptual Aspects of Vocal Function in Children With Adenotonsillar Hypertrophy-Effects of Surgery
JOURNAL OF VOICE 2012;26(4):480-7
Gender Differences in Children's Voice Use in a Day Care Environment
JOURNAL OF VOICE 2012;26(6):817.e15-8
Right-hemispheric cortical contributions to language ability in healthy adults
BRAIN AND LANGUAGE 2012;120(3):395-400
Voice onset time in Swedish children and adults
LOGOPEDICS PHONIATRICS VOCOLOGY 2012;37(3):117-22
Influence of adenotonsillar hypertrophy on /s/-articulation in children-effects of surgery
LOGOPEDICS PHONIATRICS VOCOLOGY 2011;36(3):100-8
Observations of the relationship between noise exposure and preschool teacher voice usage in day-care center environments
Journal of voice : official journal of the Voice Foundation 2011;25(2):166-72
Oral motor dysfunction in children with adenotonsillar hypertrophyeffects of surgery
LOGOPEDICS PHONIATRICS VOCOLOGY 2009;34(3):111-6
Orofacial dysfunction in ectodermal dysplasias measured using the Nordic Orofacial Test-Screening protocol
ACTA ODONTOLOGICA SCANDINAVICA 2009;67(6):377-81
Phonological development in children with obstructive sleep-disordered breathing
CLINICAL LINGUISTICS & PHONETICS 2009;23(10):751-61
Development and evaluation of a comprehensive screening for orofacial dysfunction
SWEDISH DENTAL JOURNAL 2007;31(2):75-84
Treatment with a combination of intra-oral sensory stimulation and electropalatography in a child with severe developmental dyspraxia
LOGOPEDICS PHONIATRICS VOCOLOGY 2007;32(2):71-9
Effects of family therapy on children's voices
Journal of voice : official journal of the Voice Foundation 2005;19(1):103-13
Voice disorders in children with oral motor dysfunction: perceptual evaluation pre and post oral motor therapy
Logopedics, phoniatrics, vocology 2003;28(3):117-25
Long-term effects of palatal plate therapy on oral motor function in children with Down syndrome evaluated by video registration
Acta odontologica Scandinavica 2001;59(2):63-8
Perceptual and acoustic analysis of vocal registers in 10-year-old children
Logopedics, phoniatrics, vocology 2000;25(2):63-71
Data on subglottal pressure and SPL at varied vocal loudness and pitch in 8- to 11-year-old children
Journal of voice : official journal of the Voice Foundation 1998;12(2):166-74
Perturbation and hoarseness: a pilot study of six children's voices
Journal of voice : official journal of the Voice Foundation 1996;10(3):252-61
Aetiologic factors associated with hoarseness in ten-year-old children
Folia phoniatrica et logopaedica : official organ of the International Association of Logopedics and Phoniatrics (IALP) 1995;47(5):262-78