KI-Mayo Collaborative Travel Awards
The Karolinska Institutet and Mayo Clinic are partners in research, education, administration and innovation. The partnership steering committee is pleased to announce the availability of limited competitive funds for short-term travel by faculty, staff, postdoctoral fellows, students and/or trainees between the partner institutions to plan or conduct collaborative interactions.
The Collaborative Travel Award program provides support for transportation and designated housing at the host site for the proposed period of interaction. Visits ranging from one week to three months are envisioned for up to two travelers.
Proposals will be judged on the basis of:
- Project description
- Prospect that the travel will contribute to planning or execution of collaborative education, research, and innovation projects
- Endorsement letter by the proposed host and mentor approval (if proposal involves trainee travel)
- Available funds
Proposal deadline: August 6, 2023 for proposed travel initiated during 2023. Proposals submitted after the deadline will not be considered. Awards will be announced in June 2023.
Proposal submission email address: KI-Mayo@ki.se
Proposal format: Combine the following documents into a single pdf e-mail attachment. Note that failure to adhere to page limits below will disqualify the application.
- 1-page application (contact email@example.com) if application form is not included in this email) identifying the proponent (and affiliation), host (and affiliation), a brief description of the proposed travel, naming and justifying the number of travelers, duration of stay(s), and goals of the interaction. Briefly explain the broader context of the interaction in terms of the planned research, education, innovation or administration project goals. Describe the approximate travel dates. Please indicate if a temporary research professional appointment will be necessary (KI travelers to Mayo Clinic).
- 1-page endorsement letter from the proposed host.
- 1-page brief biosketch for each proposed traveler. All funded collaborative travel awards will require submission of a final report. Awardees are responsible for receiving embassy approval (if applicable), travel documents and temporary appointments.
Budget: The award budget will be determined by the partnership steering committee based on the proposed travel duration and considering available institutional housing options and airfare. Funds will be limited to transportation and housing costs. Other costs are the responsibility of the proponent and host.
Note: The award does not cover food, incidentals or effort certification. It is preferred that:
- Awardees stay in hotels or housing that have negotiated rates with Mayo Clinic or Karolinska Institutet
- Accommodations be arranged by Mayo Clinic or Karolinska Institute project managers, not the traveler
- Travel must be completed by June 30, 2024