Application and admission to doctoral education at PHS
This page describes the process of becoming a registered doctoral student at the Department of Public Health Sciences.
There is no general admission to doctoral education at Karolinska Institutet. All admission procedures are handled at the department level. There are, however, general rules established by Karolinska Institutet for admission to doctoral education. The admission procedure at the Department of Public Health Sciences is carried out according to the general rules for doctoral education at KI.
Apply for eligibility assessment for doctoral studies
All prospective doctoral students must meet both the general and the specific entry requirements for doctoral education. Your application for eligibility assessment must be approved before you can apply for admission to doctoral studies.
The application for eligibility assessment should be submitted to the central administration at Karolinska Institutet (the address is included in the form). Please note that the processing times for eligibility assessments may be up to three weeks. If your application is incomplete, it may take longer. Download the application for eligibility assessment.
Apply for admission at PHS
To apply for doctoral studies at the department of Public Health Sciences, you need to submit your application at least two weeks in advance of the admission seminar.
Please note that your eligibility assessment must be approved before you apply for admission to doctoral education at the department. A copy of the the central administration's decision should be enclosed with the application for admission.
Application for doctoral studies
Your application must consist of the following documents:
- Application for admission to doctoral studies (Form 2)
- Application for assessment of eligibility to doctoral education (Form 1)
For more information please see entry requirements (eligibility) for doctoral education.
- Individual study plan (Form 3):
- Form 3.1 Study plan for degree of doctor
- Form 3.2 Study plan for degree of licentiate
Please note that doctoral courses and other credit bearing activities within the doctoral education that you completed before registration as a doctoral student, and that you wish to get credited shall be declared in Form 3, the individual study plan, at the time of application. For more information please see the instructions to the individual study plan (Form 3)
- A research project plan (5 pages) - written together with your supervisor
- Statement of financial support - both for the doctoral student and for the research project. What should I include in my letter of financial support?
- Ethical approval according to the alternatives below:
- Alternative 1: Copy of the application(s) and the decision(s) attached.
- Alternative 2: If ethical clearance has not yet been given, an application will be made at a later date and the undersigned principal supervisor is fully aware of the responsibility to provide such a clearance.
- Curriculum Vitae (50 words)
- Summary of research plan (250 words)
- Protocol from your pre-registration seminar held at PHS (pdf)
- Certificate/Diploma showing that your supervisor have completed research supervisor training
Please note that as of 1 April 2016 all principal supervisors must have passed the web course for doctoral supervisors within 5 years of a new student admission.
- Checklist for applicants and supervisors (pdf)
Form 1, 2 and 3 are also available for download on the page collecting the forms and documents for doctoral education at KI
Submit your application
Submit your application and all attachments to Marita Larsson, no later than two weeks before the admission seminar. Please note that your application and all attached documents should be submitted on unstapled and single-sided paper as well as digital copy in pdf-format.
After submission of your application
After submission, your application is reviewed to ensure that it is complete and complies with all formalities. If a supplement is required, the secretary of the Admissions Board will contact you.
Present at the admission seminar
An invitation to the admission seminar will be sent to you and your supervisor approximately one week before the seminar.
Your presentation at the seminar should be 10 minutes long and held in English. The presentation is followed by a discussion where the Admissions Board will pose questions to the applicant. The total time is 30 minutes. At least one of the supervisors, preferably the main supervisor, shall be present at the seminar.
Decision on admission
The final discussion on the application is held behind closed doors. The Head of the Department makes the decision in consultation with the Admissions Board. The decision cannot be appealed, but a rejection of an application does not exclude a student from making a new application.