Centre for HIV Research
The HIV workshop that was supposed to be held on the 14th of May 2020 at Södersjukhuset has been moved to the fall due to the Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic.
About The Centre for HIV Research
In May 2012 the Centre for HIV research was created at the Karolinska Institutet, with support from the Board of Research of this University. Twenty researchers (and their groups) operating at the Karolinska Institutet participated towards the formation and activity of the centre.
The primary purpose of the centre is to synergize our efforts for excellence in science.
The affiliation for the Centre for HIV research is the Department of Laboratory Medicine. This is however a virtual research centre which also receives support from the Department of Microbiology, Tumor and Cell Biology, the Department of Medicine Huddinge and the Department of Clinical Science and Education, Södersjukhuset.
Previous Meetings and Events
HIV workshop organized by the Centre for HIV Research at KI.
Date: 7th of February 2019.
Location: Von Behring meeting room, Alfred Nobels Allé 8,Floor 9, Huddinge.
HIV workshop organized by the Centre for HIV Research at KI.
Date: 8th of February 2018.
Location: The seminar room at CMM L8:01,(one floor up), Visionsgatan 18, Solna.
Centre for HIV Research workshop September 15 2015: Sweden’s contribution to the global HIV research agenda
The Centre for HIV Research at the Karolinska Institutet held the workshop "Sweden’s contribution to the global HIV research agenda" which took place at Nobel Forum on Sep 15, 2015.
The workshop was supported by a grant from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (UD), Sweden.
The purpose of organizing this workshop included:
- To review the current research efforts undertaken by the Swedish research community in relation to the global agenda for HIV/AIDS. What gaps are we filling and in which areas are we leading development.
- To define the most important areas for future HIV research and to identify areas of overlapping interest for the Swedish government and the research community.
- To identify how the Swedish researchers can contribute to inform the new strategies for the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria for 2017-2021 and UNAIDS 2016-2020.
Eminent speakers participated at this meeting which defined how Sweden can contribute to the global HIV research agenda
Conference September 2013 - Towards a Cure for HIV: From Pathogenesis to Eradication
2013-09-05 - 2013-09-06 at Nobel Forum Solna Campus
Kick Off Meeting October 2012
The Centre was officially launched in October 2012 at a meeting held at Moderna Museet, Stockholm
Program for the Meeting
Photos From the Meeting
Scientific Mission and Vision
The ultimate goal of this consortium is to promote excellent HIV research by strengthening collaborative work between the partners within KI. The work of the consortium will gather around the topics of HIV pathogenesis, vaccine, prevention, treatment and cure.
- Through joint efforts we will apply for funding from national and international granting agencies with the purpose of developing and conducting high-competitive research in basic and clinical topics related to HIV research.
- We will further promote a well functional bridge between pre-clinical and clinical Departments with the purpose of translating relevant clinical problems related to the management, treatment and prevention of HIV infection into products with the final purpose of alleviating the clinical problems.
- This groups aims at intensifying the translation of basic research findings into products which may be of benefit to HIV infected patients and individuals at risk of contracting this infection.
- We aim at an increased utilization by the applicants of the InfCare system which is a database in which laboratory and clinical data from all HIV infected patients followed in Sweden have been collected since 10 years back. The identity of the patients is coded.
- We will establish a biobank for plasma and PBMCs (and other relevant specimens) collected from HIV infected patients from the early stages of HIV infection.
Senior advisor resource mobilisation
• Riksförbundet Noaks Ark
List of Collaborating Institutions
Academic In Europe
- Rega Institute, Leuven, Belgium
- Spanish National research Council, Spain
- University College London, UK
- French Alternative Energies and Atomic Energy Commission (CEA) France
- Oxford University, UK
- Cambridge University, UK
- Staten Serum Institut, Denmark
- Institute of Tropical Medicine, Antwerp, Belgium
- San Raffaele Institute, Milano, Italy
- University of Debrecen, Hungary
- Max Planck Institute for Bioinformatics, Germany
- University of Cologne, Germany
- University of Siena, Italy
- Hospital Bambino Gesu, Italy
- Biomedical Primate Research Center, The Netherlands
- University of Rotterdam, The Netherlands
- Catholic University, Belgium
- University Hospital Ulm, Germany
- Technical University of Denmark (DTU), Denmark
- University of Tor Vergata, Rome, Italy
- Imperial College, UK
- University of Edinburgh, UK
- Institut Pasteur, France
- Centro National de Biotechnologia, Spain
- Agence Nationale de Recherche sur le Sida, France
- Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois, Switzerland
- University of Helsinky, Finland
- University of Tartu, Estonia
- Bonn University, Germany
- Service d'Immunovirologie, CEA, Paris
Academic In Africa
- Makerere University, Kampala, Uganda.
- University of Cape Town, South Africa
- National Laboratory for Public Health, Bissau, Guinea-Bissau
- Addis Ababa University, Ethiopia
- Armauer Hansen Research Institute, Addis Abeba, Ethiopia
- Muhimbili University of Health, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
- National Institute of Health, Maputo, Mozambique
- University of Manitoba, Manitobi
- University of Nairobi, Kenya
Academic In Asia
- National Institute of Hygiene and Epidemiology, Hanoi, Vietnam
- Hanoi Medical University, Hanoi, Vietnam
- Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, India
- Agency for Science, Technology and Research, Singapore
- St Johans Research Institute, Bangalore India
Academic In USA and Canada
- University of California, School of Medicine, Davis, USA.
- University of California, San Francisco, USA.
- Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, USA
- Duke University, USA
- Vaccine Research Center, NIH, Bethesda, MD, USA
- University of Washington, Seattle, USA
- National Institute of Health, Washington, MD, USA
- US Army HIV Research Programme. WRAIR, Rockeville, MD, USA
- Los Alamos National Laboratory, USA
- University of Washington, School of Public Health, USA
- University of Florida, USA
- Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, USA
- Harvard Medical School, Boston, USA
- Northwestern University, Chicago, IL, USA.
- Emory Vaccine Center, GA, USA.
- University of Toronto, Canada
Academic In Latin America
- University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
- Federal University Sao Paolo, Brazil
- National Autonomous University of Honduras, Honduras
Academic In Australia
- Burnet Institute, Melbourne, Australia
- Novartis, Cambridge, MA, USA
- Crucell, The Netherlands
- GenVec, MD, USA
- ChronTechPharma, Sweden
- Gene Therapy Center, KUS at Huddinge, Sweden
- Genentech, Inc. South San Francisco, CA, USA
- Monogram Biosciences, Inc, CA, USA
- Immunomedics, New Jersey, USA
- IBM Research Haifa, Israel