Call for project funding within SFO-V in 2021
The Strategic Research Area Health Care Science (SFO-V) is focused on four core areas in which applicants are required to focus their research:
- Bio-behavioral health care science
Eligible to apply and date of admission
Health care scientists with a PhD employed at KI (> 50%) can apply. Applications will be accepted from August 2nd, 2021 and there will be instructions how to apply.
Last date of application
Applicants are requested to upload their data and documents online. Last date of application: October 14, at 02.00 pm.
The Strategic Research Area Health Care Science (SFO-V) is a collaboration between Karolinska Institutet (KI) and Umeå University (UmU). The aim is to strengthen and develop collaborations between health care science and the health and welfare sector through high quality research and activities promoting collaboration, knowledge exchange and social innovation.
Health care science is a multidisciplinary research area that spans a number of academic areas such as prevention, care, nursing, rehabilitation, wellbeing and health. These disciplines can be further specified as health promotion and prevention, nursing and rehabilitation, and can include other cross-disciplines such as health care organization and management, ethics, health informatics, health economics, architecture, design and technology. Research within SFO-V is focused on four core areas:
- Bio-behavioral health care science
The SFO-V will award up to 16 project grants of SEK 500k each for 2021 with a possible extension of another 500k for 2022, based on the progress report. Researchers can only be the main applicant for one project. Projects planned together with researchers from UmU will be prioritized. Applications on pilot projects and feasibility studies are welcome. Researchers receiving grants are expected to contribute to the SFO-V research environment with a series of open seminars closely related to our core areas of research.
Eligible to apply
Health care scientists with a PhD employed at KI (> 50%) can apply.
A group of senior scientists from Swedish universities will review and grade the applications in accordance with the Swedish Research Council criteria (1-7 p).
- Scientific quality
- Organization and management
Decision on grant allocation will be taken by the SFO-V steering group, based on the scientific evaluations, the relevance for SFO-V and collaborations with UmU.
The application form and all supplements (font Times New Roman > 11), except Swedish abstract, should be written in English. The application will be registered in Prisma https://prisma.research.se/ where the following documents should be uploaded.
Supplement 1: Project plan
Supplement 2: CV of the main applicant and up to one co-applicant, maximum 2 pages each
Supplement 3: List of publications for the main applicant
Supplement 4: Swedish abstract, maximum1 page
Supplement 5: A document where the applicant and their head of department certify that, if granted, the funding will be utilized in accordance with the stipulated budget and granted project time.
Incomplete applications or those not complying with instructions will not be assessed.
1. Information on main applicant.
2. Information on up to one co-applicant.
3. Clear project title, comprehensible also for health care scientists outside the immediate project focus.
4. Indicate one or more of the SFO-V core areas applying to the project and provide motivations for the choice. Projects considered to fall outside the core areas will not be assessed.
5. The scientific abstract should describe the entire project and include background, aim, research questions, methods, ethics and project relevance.
6. The applicants should report the total economic resources applied for and received for the actual project. Funding agency, project title and amount(s) applied for or received for 2021 and 2022 should be indicated.
7. Report total project budget, justify it briefly and indicate the planned use of the SFO-V grant.
8. Report resources, other than economic, for the realization of the project. They might be competencies, equipment or collaborations, national and international, with academia and facilities for health care and welfare. Also describe the cross-disciplinary approach and the multidisciplinary research team, if applicable. Report the main applicant’s employment and percentage of paid research time.
9. Report if ethics approval has been obtained, whether it has been submitted or when this is planned for.
10. Collaborations with UmU are of particular interest and should be described in terms of collaborating scientist and the organization of the collaboration.
Project plan – supplement 1
The project plan should be written on maximum 5 pages plus references and include necessary information for the assessment of the scientific quality, feasibility and organization and management of the project as well as the relevance for SFO-V considering its focus and core areas. It should thus include background, clear aim, specified research questions, methods, relevance and time plan with deliverables.
Curriculum vitae – supplement 2
Include CV for the main applicant and up to one main applicant, written according to instructions for KI qualifications portfolio, maximum 2 pages each.
Publication list – supplement 3
Include the main applicant’s publication list.
Swedish abstract – supplement 4
Include a Swedish abstract, with a Swedish title, maximum 1 page. Abstracts of all granted projects will be published at the SFO-V webpage after decision on funding.
Agreement – supplement 5
Include an agreement with institutions/researchers to utilize funding during the stipulated time.
Further information from
Professor Yvonne Wengström, Karolinska Institutet, tel. 08-524 836 83, email@example.com
Last date and time of application
14 October 2021, 2.00 pm
Submission of application
- The application and supplements should be uploaded in Prisma. Please note that in Prisma the heading is erroneously Research School and not Project funds like it should be. We have not been able to correct that.
- Questions about registering in Prisma can be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Technical questions can be addressed to Prisma support https://prismasupport.research.se/kontakt.html (contact form).