My main scientific activity focuses on development and application of biostatistical and epidemiological methods that can improve either the analysis of public health/medical data and/or communication of the findings. I am associate professor of medical statistics and senior researcher.
I teach several courses on biostatistics (fundamentals, meta-analysis, flexible modeling, survival analysis) and use of Stata statistical software for a variety of participants (master and doctoral students, health professionals, clinicians, junior and more senior researchers) in different countries.
Doctoral Degree in Medical Science, Epidemiology, 2008. Karolinska Institutet.
Licentiate Degree in Medical Science, Epidemiology, 2006. Karolinska Institutet.
Current postdoctoral student
XingWu Zhou - Methods for intervention time-series analysis.
Previous doctoral students
Alessio Crippa (Postdoc in Biostatistics at MEB, KI) - Development of novel statistical methods for meta-analysis.
Andrea Bellavia (Postdoc in Biostatistics and Epidemiology at Harvard School of Public Health) - A percentile approach to time-to-event outcomes
Andrea Discacciati (Postdoc in Biostatistics at IMM, KI) - Risk factors for prostate cancer: analysis of primary data, pooling, and related methodological aspects
- Crippa A, Discacciati A, Bottai M, Spiegelman D, and Orsini N. One-stage dose–response meta-analysis for aggregated data. Statistical Methods in Medical Research. In press. 2018.
- Discacciati A, Crippa A, Orsini N. Goodness of fit tools for dose-response meta-analysis of binary outcomes. Research Synthesis Methods. 2017 Jun; 8(2):149.
- Crippa A, Khudyakov P, Wang M, Orsini N, Spiegelman D. A new measure of between-studies heterogeneity in meta-analysis. Statistics in Medicine. 2016; 35(21):3661–75.
- Bellavia A, Bottai M, Orsini N. Evaluating additive interaction using survival percentiles. Epidemiology. 2016 May;27(3):360-4.
- Crippa A, and Orsini N. Multivariate dose–response meta-analysis: the dosresmeta R Package. Journal of Statistical Software 2016; 72(1):1–15.
- Discacciati A, Bellavia A, Orsini N, Greenland S. On the interpretation of risk and rate advancement periods. International Journal of Epidemiology. 2015. Dec 15. pii: dyv320.
- Bellavia A, Discacciati A, Bottai M, Wolk A, Orsini N. Using Laplace regression to model and predict percentiles of age at death, when age is the primary time-scale. American Journal of Epidemiology. 2015. Aug 1;182(3):271-7.
- Bellavia A, Bottai M, Orsini N. Adjusted survival curves with multivariable Laplace regression. Epidemiology. 2015. Volume 26 - Issue 2. pp: 137-288,e14-e30.
- Bottai M, Orsini N, Geraci M. A Gradient Search Maximization Algorithm for the Asymmetric Laplace Likelihood. Journal of Statistical Computation and Simulation. 2015. Volume 85, Issue 10.
- Discacciati A, Orsini N, Greenland S. Approximate Bayesian logistic regression via penalized likelihood by data augmentation. Stata Journal. Volume 15 Number 3: pp. 712-736.
- Bottai M, Orsini N, A command for Laplace regression. Stata Journal. 2013. Vol. 13, Nr.2, pp. 302-314.
- Orsini N, Bellocco R, Sjölander A. Doubly robust estimation in Generalized Linear Models. Stata Journal. 2013. Vol. 13, Nr.1. pp. 185-205.
- Orsini N, Wolk A, Bottai M. Evaluating Percentiles of Survival. Epidemiology. 2012 Sep;23(5):770-1.
- Orsini N, Ruifeng L, Wolk A, Khudyakov P, Spiegelman D. Meta-analysis for linear and non-linear dose-response relationships: examples, an evaluation of approximations, and software. American Journal of Epidemiology. 2012 Jan 1;175(1):66-73.
- Orsini N, Bottai M. Logistic quantile regression in Stata. Stata Journal. 2011. Volume 11 Number 3: pp. 327-344.
- Orsini N, Greenland S. A procedure to tabulate and plot results after flexible modeling of a quantitative covariate. Stata Journal. 2011. 11, Number 1, pp. 1–29.
- Larsson SC, Orsini N, Wolk A. Vitamin B6 and the Risk of Colorectal Cancer: A Meta-Analysis of Prospective Studies. 2010. JAMA. Mar 17;303(11):1077-83.
- Orsini N, Bellocco R, Greenland S. Generalized least squares for trend estimation of summarized dose-response data. Stata Journal. 2006, 6: 40-57.
Course Director "Basic Statistics and Computer Based Analysis" (5 weeks) in the Master Program in Public Health, Karolinska Institutet.
Course Director "Advanced Statistics for Epidemiologistis" (6 weeks) in the Master Program in Public Health, Karolinska Institutet.
Course Director of "Biostatistics II: Logistic regression" (2 weeks) in the Doctoral Program in Epidemiology, Karolinska Institutet.
Course Director of "Introduction to Stata for epidemiologists" (2 days) in the Doctoral Program in Epidemiology, Karolinska Institutet.
Academic honours, awards and prizes
- 2017 Highly Cited Researcher. My research ranks among the top 1% most cited works in the field of Social Sciences. Clarivate Analytics. Web of Science.
- 2012 Young Scholar Award from the Karolinska Institutet's Strategic Program in Epidemiology. Development of novel procedures in epidemiology: A percentiles-based approach to analyse continuous outcomes.
- 2010 Young Scholar Award from the Karolinska Institutet's Strategic Program in Epidemiology. Developing user-friendly statistical methods for health researchers.
- 2009 Torgny Wännström Prize. For the best doctoral thesis in the medical field of public health. Nominations submitted by the medical faculties of the universities and the Swedish Medical Society's research mission appoints award winner.