I am Associate Professor in Cancer Epidemiology and Group Leader at the Department of Biosciences and Nutrition.
The basic motive of my research combines experience in mathematics/ biostatistics and genomic epidemiology with an insight into the clinically relevant questions with potential impact on breast cancer patient management and survival. My main scientific interest is in the search of understanding the specific patient and tumor characteristics required throughout tumor progression enabling the primary breast cancer tumor to gain early or late metastatic capacity, in the end responsible for virtually all cancer-related death.
I focus my research on breast cancer since breast cancer is the most common female cancer in the Western world and one of the main causes of death in women. It is indeed a challenge given that breast cancer is widely recognized as a heterogeneous disease both in the sense of primary tumor metastatic capacity as well as time to metastatic spread of disease.
- MSc (Master of Science) in Molecular Biotechnology, Uppsala University.
- PhD in Cancer Epidemiology, Department of Medical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Karolinska Institutet.
Postdoctoral studies at the Department of Oncology-Pathology, Karolinska Institutet.
Postdoctoral studies at the Carol Franc Buck Breast Care Center, Department of Surgery, University of California at San Francisco (UCSF), USA.
My main research questions:
- Does intra-tumor heterogeneity influence patient survival and response to therapy?
- Long-term risk: Which factors are important for the long-term risk for fatal breast cancer disease? Identify patients at high and very low risk.
- Breast cancer in situ: Who is at high and low risk to develop invasive breast cancer?
- Why do young women with breast cancer have a high risk of fatal breast cancer?
- Is breast cancer survival inherited?
Academic honours, awards and prizes
- 4-year Assistant Professor position as appointed by the Board of Research at Karolinska Institutet to Dr. Lindström. Reference number: 2-560/2015.
- 4-year Young Investigator “Unga Forskare” Project Research Grant from the Swedish Research Council (Vetenskapsrådet).
- 4-year Young Investigator Award from the Swedish Research Council for Health, Working life and Welfare (FORTE).
3-year full Postdoctoral Research position from the Swedish Research Council (Vetenskapsrådet).
Telephone +46-08-524 88117