Academic surgeon focusing on oesophageal and gastric cancer in both research and clinics, who holds two tenured professorships and senior consultant surgeon positions: one full-time at Karolinska Institutet and Karolinska University Hospital, and one part-time at King's College London and Guy's and St. Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust in London.
Special committments at KI are as member of the Nobel Assembly and Vice Chair of the Recruitment Committee.
CV: MD in 1989, specialist surgeon in 1996, doctorate (PhD) in 1999, associate professor in 2001, senior lecturer in 2003 and professor of surgery since 2006, all at Karolinska Institutet. Professor (Chair) at King's College London (and King's Health Partners London) since 2010.
Supervisor: Supervised 35 doctorate students to completed PhDs (16 as main supervisor) and presently supervising another 12 PhD students (8 as main supervisor). Supervised 16 post-doctoral researchers and presently another 2.
Research area: The research examines diseases and surgical procedures of the oesophagus and stomach, with a focus on causes, prevention and treatment of oesophageal cancer and conditions associated with this tumour, i.e. Barrett's oesophagus, gastro-oesophageal reflux disease and obesity.
Research Group: Upper GI Surgery
Publications, 10 selected among over 300 peer reviewed articles:
1. Lagergren J, Bergström R, Lindgren A, Nyrén O. Symptomatic gastroesophageal reflux is a strong risk factor for esophageal adenocarcinoma. N Engl J Med 1999;340:825-31. Journal impact factor (JIF) = 72.4.
2. Nilsson M, Johnsen R, Ye W, Hveem K, Lagergren J. Obesity and estrogen as risk factors for symptomatic gastroesophageal reflux. JAMA 2003;290:66-72. JIF = 44.4.
3. Rouvelas I, Zeng W, Lindblad M, Viklund P, Ye W, Lagergren J. Survival after surgery for oesophageal cancer: a population-based study. Lancet Oncol 2005;6:864-70. JIF = 33.9.
4. Lagergren J. Controversies surrounding body mass, reflux, and risk of oesophageal adenocarcinoma. Lancet Oncol 2006;7:347-9. JIF = 33.9.
5. Blomberg J, Lagergren P, Martin L, Mattsson F, Lagergren J. Novel approach to antibiotic prophylaxis in percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy (PEG): randomised controlled trial. BMJ 2010;341:c3115. JIF = 20.8.
6. Derogar M, Sadr-Azodi O, Johar A, Lagergren P, Lagergren J. Hospital and surgeon volume in relation to survival after esophageal cancer surgery in a population-based study. J Clin Oncol 2013;31:551-7. JIF = 24.0.
7. Lagergren J, Lagergren P. Recent developments in esophageal adenocarcinoma. CA Cancer J Clin 2013;63:232-48. JIF = 187.0.
8. Markar SR, Mackenzie H, Johar A, Lagergren P, Hanna GB, Lagergren J. Surgical proficiency gain and survival after esophagectomy for cancer. J Clin Oncol 2016;34:1528-36. JIF = 24.0.
9. Lagergren J, Smyth E, Cunningham D, Lagergren P. Oesophageal cancer: Seminar. Lancet 2017;390:2383-96. JIF = 47.8.
10. Maret-Ouda J, Wahlin K, El-Serag HB, Lagergren J. Recurrence of gastro-oesophageal reflux symptoms following laparoscopic antireflux surgery in a nationwide cohort study. JAMA 2017;318:939-46. JIF = 44.4.
Docent since 2001 and professor since 2006. Currently mainly supervision of PhD students and post-docs, but also some supervision of master students and medical students in projects with us. Bedside-teaching in the clinics and at multi-disciplinary clinical conferences. Teacher at PhD courses. Organiser of seminars, workshops and conferences. Speaker at conferences both nationally and internationally.
Academic honours, awards and prizes
- “United European Gastroenterology Research Prize” for excellence in clinical research (100,000 €) in 2017.
- “TP Gunton Research Grant Winner” award from the British Medical Association (£50,000) in 2017.
- Elected member of the Nobel Assembly at Karolinska Institutet (since 2017).
- "Embassador" for oesophageal cancer for the Lancet 2016-2019.
- "Skandia´s Lennart Levi Research Prize" in 2011
- Leader of a research constellation judged as "Outstanding" (highest possible) by an external research assessment (ERA2010)
- "Distinguished Professor Award" in 2009
- "The primary research supervisor at Karolinska" in 2007
- "Major Research Scholarship in Surgery" in 2004, the first time it was awarded
- "Axel Hirsch Prize in Cancer Research" in 2002.