Call for funding 2022 - The Research School in Health Science (FiH)
The grant is for partial financing of a doctoral student.
The 2022 call for the research school in the field of health science has a focus on intervention and implementation research. The overall goal of the research school is to enhance healthcare education at the doctoral level and inspire high quality, healthcare-related research. The call covers up to 17 grants and approximately 50 % of the cost of the salary for a doctoral student for 4 years starting in autumn 2023.
Decision on allocation
The decision on the allocation of FiH funding is made by The Committee of Doctoral Education based on the assessors’ ranking and quality-assurance of the applications. The preliminary plan is for a decision to be announced on the 8th February 2023.
1st June until 5th September in PRISMA
The following conditions must be met to be eligible to apply:
- The application should have at least two applicants with a PhD and at least one should be docent. The principal applicant and principal supervisor must be a researcher employed at KI or with an affiliation to KI and active as a researcher at the department where the doctoral student will be admitted to the PhD program. The principal applicant must first have obtained a “green light” approval from his/her department.
- The principal supervisor may only act as principal supervisor in one application per call; however, this restriction does not apply to the role of co-supervisor. If an applicant appears as principal supervisor on two grant applications, both applications will be considered invalid.
- All rules and general syllabus that apply for doctoral education at KI also apply for FiH.
- Co-applicants (maximum of 3) must be researchers with a PhD who intend to act as co-supervisors to the recruited doctoral student.
- The applying principal and co-supervisors must be the same persons appointed as principal and co-supervisors by the Head of Department when the doctoral student is admitted.
- A person who has been granted funding as a principal supervisor is not eligible to apply for any faculty funds for financing a doctoral student as principal supervisor in another call during the same or following year. This means that a principal supervisor granted KID funding 2021 is not eligible to apply for a FiH grant as principal supervisor in 2022. Thus, being granted a faculty funding 2020 is no limitation for applying for funding in FiH 2022. Applying as principal supervisor for both KID and FiH funding 2022 can only be granted one of them.
The grant is equivalent to the KID-funding -currently 355 000 SKR (incl. INDI and LPK) yearly for 4 years. The doctoral student may study part time but during the mandatory courses full time is required.
Assessment and decision
On receiving applications, a first selection regarding relevance to the research area of health science is done for the application to be considered for further assessment.
Applications are assessed by at least three senior researchers (at least associate professor) outside KI in competition with all other applications, based on the established review criteria:
- The relevance for the research school in health science (yes/no)
- Suitability as doctoral education project (1-5p)
- Quality of supervision (1-5p)
- Scientific quality (1-5p)
- Project feasibility (1-5p)
5 p = outstanding
4 p= excellent
3 p = very good
2 p = good
1 p = insufficient
To be included in the final ranking process the project must be considered relevant for the research area of health science by at least 2 of 3 reviewers. Further a mean value of 3 of all criteria´s is required.
Three projects will be put on waiting list.
Recruitment of doctoral student
The recruitment process is initiated by the principal supervisor and the doctoral student position is advertised in competition according to KI regulations. Only those who have not already been admitted to doctoral education may be recruited to a FiH project. All granted projects will be presented on FIH webpage and in a joint hearing.
The KI job application system is used. It is possible to apply for more than one project.
Then the admission process to doctoral education starts at the department at KI where the student will be registered and must be ready by the 1st of September when the research school starts.
The application must be entered in Prisma by 2 pm the 5th of September 2022.
Instructions for the application
The project title must clearly state the research area and what the project is about and must also allow for forming an opinion for those outside the special area about the project's content. The project title should be provided in both Swedish and English.
Information about principal applicant and co-applicants
Please see above conditions for eligibility of applying.
Short summary of the project
The summary should include overall aim, research questions, hypotheses; methods; planned studies; the project´s significance and relevance for doctoral education and the role of the doctoral student (maximum 4000 characters). The summary must be written in Swedish.
Relevance for the research school in health science
Describe and motivate the project relevance according to the research area (max 2000 characters).
Doctoral education environment and supervision
Describe how the project is suitable for research education including the prerequisites for learning (max 2000 characters). Clearly state the doctoral education environment, how the supervisors’ competences are relevant to the suggested project, how you plan to organize the supervision. Describe the doctoral student’s role in the project and the support that will be provided to enable the student’s learning and development towards independency.
All applicants should also state previous experience of supervising on the level of doctoral education.
Describe the total amount of financial resources
State how does the planning/arrangement of the financial resources contribute to the project's feasibility. The total financial resources should be described. Is there is any previous funding granted for the research project applied for here, the size of the grant/grants, time period and the financier. In this application the main applicant’s current employment situations should also be stated (max 2.000 characters)
Other resources available for the research project and the doctoral student
Describe other resources available for the project and the doctoral student e.g other staff members, spaces, equipment, and material. Any opportunities for international sharing of knowledge and interaction (max 2000 characters).
Also describe any collaboration between other departments at KI.
Outcomes for doctoral education
State clearly, giving examples how the outcomes of the doctoral education will be achieved:
- Knowledge and understanding
- Proficiency and aptitude
- Ability to assess and approach
The research plan including references may be a maximum of 20 000 characters.
It should include the project aim, background, research questions, methods, studies planned, the significance and a working plan. It should also contain the information required to assess the project's objectives, originality, and feasibility. The project should also be described as to get a good idea of its scientific position in a national/ international context.
Ethical approval should be stated. If there is no approval yet, it has to be maintained and available to FiH by May 1st, 2023.
Gender and diversity
Describe how gender and diversity is considered for in the project aim, or design, or methods. If not relevant for the present project a motivation should be given (max 2000 characters).
For more information please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org