Our mission at Karolinska Institutet is to promote high quality learning in all our educational programs trough introduction and further improvement of interactive educational methods.
Interactive learning methods are based on an active dialogue between faculty members and learners, and between learners (peer-to-peer learning / collaborative learning). Active learning is based on learners’ previous knowledge and experience, clear and explicitly communicated learning objectives, and it is a dynamic and highly stimulating learning experience for the learners as well as for the faculty members.
Medical Case Centre provides services to leaders of educational programs or courses in designing and implementing an interactive curriculum. Projects can be of different size and length and we can also offer evaluations and follow-up studies on implemented changes.
We also provide support to individual teachers through our educational programs. We offer courses, master classes and individual coaching. We can help you to develop your skills as a learning facilitator or as a producer of different interactive educational materials such as cases of various forms. Duing the following year we are developing the most of our material to be availible online so stay tuned!
Teresa Sörö in conversation with Dr Neil Mehta, Cleveland Clinic about how we as educators can work more studentcentered in the digital context.
Courses, Master classes and Workshops
- Are you looking for new inspiration?
- Would you like to improve your lectures?
- Would you like to improve your educational leadership skills?
- How can you use the classroom in order to improve interactive teaching and learning?
Apply now for our courses below!
If you are looking for individual coaching, either as an educational leader or as an individual teacher please contact us directly. We will tailor-make a program for you. Bespoke only!
Basic Course in Case-Based Learning (CBL)
After this course you should be able to:
- Design a case seminar
- Facilitate a case seminar
The basic course in case-based learning is suitable for all teachers who would like to improve active classroom learning skills and to introduce authentic learning materials into the classroom.
The overall aim of this program is to provide you with an introduction to case-based learning. This program is based on the Harvard-tradition of using cases to improve students’ skills to think and act as a health professional. How can authentic cases be used in a classroom setting in order to find meaningful anchors that are real, relevant and highly engaging? Authentic cases are important educational materials to promote integration between different disciplines.
The basic course in case-based learning is a three-day program: two intense days followed by a third day a few weeks later. If your institutio or organiseation have special wishes and goals we can of course tailor it so it suits your intended outcomes.
The course is to be scheduled upon request.
Master Class in Learning Facilitation Skills
After this program you should be able to:
Facilitate a case seminar
Master Class is a one-day program for anyone who likes to refresh and further develop his or her learning facilitation skills. It is required that you already have completed the basic course in case-based learning.
Debate as learning activity
After this program you should be able to:
- Design a debate in your course
- Act as a debate moderator
- Prepare yourself to participate in a debate
There are daily debates in the health sciences; everything from formal debates at various scientific conferences to “debates” on various clinical rounds. Debating is a skill that needs to be trained and it has a long academic tradition, particularly in an Anglo-Saxon university tradition.
This program introduces you to debating in global media formats and in academic settings. You will be introduced to plan and orchestrate a debate; to prepare the debating teams and indeed to prepare yourself for the role of being the moderator.
Debating is one educational method that stimulates critical thinking and deep learning. It is highly interactive, based on peer-to-peer learning, and it is stimulating and fun.
This highly interactive course ends with a debate and you will get the opportunity to practice what the program covers.
Listen to Jonas Nordquist and Teresa Sörö talks about why and how we can use dabate as a learning activity
How Physical Space Impacts on Learning – Align your educational strategy with the right classroom
After this program you should be able to:
- Select the most appropriate classroom for your classroom strategy
- Describe the philosophy behind the design of the classrooms and informal spaces at Karolinska Institutet
Why does certain classroom work better than others in terms of establishing an interactive atmosphere and to promote discussion? How can you optimize the new learning environments at Karolinska Institutet? Karolinska Institutet has redeveloped over 100 classrooms over the last few years. This program introduces you into how you best can use the new learning spaces.
The overall aim of this one-day program is to provide you with an introduction to how physical space impacts on the pedagogy you use for your students. What do we know from the international research on the interaction between learning, architecture and design of individual learning environments?
Workshop in interactive pedagogy
Medical Case Centre offers you four different two-hour workshops in various forms on interactive learning methods. Currently they are offered on demand and we invite you to contact us. We would be delighted to schedule these workshops for you and your program!
- The physical classroom. How can you use different classrooms in order to better align with your educational classroom strategy? How can you increase the interactivity between students and students in your classroom setting? After this workshop you should be able align the set-up of your classroom with your educational intentions. You should also be able to select the right classroom for your educational ambition.
- How to structure your lecture. Lectures are sometime a very effective way to teach your students. How do you structure a lecture in a way to create excitements and maximize attention? How do you align your core messages with the structure of your lecture? After this workshop you should be able to identify three approaches to design a lecture. This workshop will use fiction, film and other media as points of reference: from 007 to BBC.
- Web and podcast design to promote interactivity. Web and podcasts are much more than media channels to communicate information. To master the technology is important, but even more important is to master the skills to design the actual manuscript. After this workshop you shall be able to identify three strategies to design the content suitable for a web or podcasts format.
- Art as a part of your classroom strategy. Art has a long tradition in Anglo-Saxon educational programs. Liberal arts intended to expand the thinking of students, enhance critical thinking and open-up for new perspectives. This workshop on art as a part of your classroom strategy focuses on primarily visual arts in various forms to promote interactivity in your classroom. After this workshop you shall be able identify different strategies on how art can be used in your class to stimulate high quality learning.
Nordquist J. Johansson L. 2009. To Teach With Cases in Health Professions Education: Promoting Authentic, Interactive and Organizational Learning. Karolinska Institutet, Medical Case Centre. (In Swedish only)
This book is a collection of 27 educational cases from nine different health profession programs at Karolinska Institutet. This book has three parts: The introductory part addresses the issue of how educational cases can integrate different disciplines in a specific curriculum. The second part is a collection of cases used at Karolinska Institutet. The third and last part is a discussion on the scholarship of teaching and learning and the importance of making educational materials available between programs and courses. The book is available to download. You can also download individual cases.
You are free to use the cases with proper references. Authors of the individual cases are faculty at Karolinska Institutet and the Karolinska Univesity Hospital. You can also receive a hard copy of the book free of charge. Please contact Teresa Sörö