Doctoral students and post docs - travel award for lab visits at the University of Tokyo
Karolinska Institutet has in collaboration with Stockholm University and KTH Royal Institute of Technology signed a strategic partnership with the University of Tokyo. KI offers a travel award to increase mobility.
For call 2023 the announcement will be published before the summer.
The strategic partnership agreement, signed in September 2017, and prolonged in June 2022 aims to increase mobility of students and researchers, joint research projects and faculty development programs such as pedagogic training and research supervision.
To facilitate new and existing contacts between researchers and doctoral students as well as increase research collaboration with the University of Tokyo, KI and the Internationalisation Advisory Council is pleased to announce the availability of limited competitive funds for a lab visit (1-3 awards). The lab visits can take place within already existing collaborations or to labs with no previous collaborations. If the lab visit takes place in conjunction with the UTokyo- Stockholm Trio workshop in Tokyo 20-22nd of February 2023, it is possible to combine the lab visit with the workshop.
The Travel Award provides support for transportation and housing of 30 000 SEK (including INDI) per person.
Applications should include:
- Statement of interest / Description of the intended activities, including relevance for the ISP (max 350 words)
- Letter of support from the supervisor (if relevant)
- An invitation letter from the proposed host
- Document supporting admission as doctoral student at KI including information about half time seminar (Ladok) (if relevant)
- Bibliography it is possible to include information about manuscripts (short)
Combine the documents into a single pdf file.
Important dates and aspects
Deadline for applications: 17th of October 2022
The decision of funding will be made at the latest 24th of October. The proposed travel should take place between December 2022 and 31st of December 2023.
The following aspects will in particular be taken into account:
- Opportunity to use methodology or technology that is unavailable at KI.
- Relevance for the postdoctoral research project or doctoral student’s Individual Study Plan (ISP)
- Half-time seminar completed, for doctoral students
- Strengthening of collaborations between KI and UTokyo.
- Letter from the supervisor conforming that the doctoral student/post docs will be part of the delegation participating in the UTokyo- Stockholm Trio workshop in Tokyo 20-22nd of February 2023.
All funded travel awards will require submission of a short travel report that will be published on the KI web site.
It is possible to apply for the travel award more than once but applicants that never have been awarded a travel award for lab visit to UTokyo will be prioritised.
For questions regarding this travel award and for advice regarding contacts with the University of Tokyo, please contact Lotta Lundqvist.
Email your proposal to email@example.com. Proposals submitted after the deadline will not be considered.