The University Library (KIB)
The University Library at Karolinska Institutet (KIB) is a university-wide function that serves under KI’s president, as can be seen in KI’s organisational plan.
The University Library website
On the University Library's website, you can find all the resources and tools that the library offers for research, work or study at KI. KIB is a public library, open to everyone.
We are working for a future where constant and open access to information promotes the development of sustainable, equal and ground-breaking knowledge.
Mission of the library
Based on the overarching objectives and core values of KI, mission of the University Library is to provide KI with the best possible foundation for conducting world-class research and education. In order to achieve these goals, the University Library:
is responsible for providing scientific information and promoting open publication
contributes to the openness and permanent availability of research conducted at the university
supports scholarly communication,
strengthens information literacy skills, such as the ability to search for, evaluate and use information
enables meetings across subject areas and organisational boundaries.
The Library Advisory Board
The university library has an advisory board with members appointed by the president of KI. The board's task is to guide the direction of the library and to participate in the preparation of the library's internal budget allocation and budget requests.
The Library Advisory Board consists of the following members:
- Martin Bergö, Chair
- Miriam Nauri, Library Director
- Susanne Gabrielsson, Committee for Research
- Rune Brautaset, Committee for Undergraduate and Advanced Education
- Andreas Lundqvist, Committee for Postgraduate Education
- Maria Watter, Head of the Pedagogical Unit for Teaching and Learning (UoL)
- Ann-Sofie Axelsson, external representative, Library Director and Head of Department, Chalmers University of Technology
- Ida Fagerlund, student representative, Medicinska Föreningen (student union)
- Carl-Oscar Östman, student representative, Medicinska Föreningen (student union)
- Firas Ammar, student representative, Odontologiska Föreningen (student union)
The Advisory Board meets four times a year.
The University Library provides support throughout the academic life cycle, from freshman students to senior researchers. Here you can read more about the library’s different focus areas, and how we work with them from year to year.
Departments and units
The library has about 90 employees, divided into three departments and seven units, lead by heads of departments and units, respective.
Department: User Support and Teaching
The department enables core activities at KI by:
offering and developing services and learning environments with a clear user focus
assisting students, doctoral students and researchers with adaptive, student-centered teaching and consultation
developing the library’s internal and external communication.
This department includes the units
- Information Literacy
- Printed Collections and Library Support
Head of Department
Department: Infrastructure for Research Information
The department of Infrastructure for Research Information promotes KI's core activities by:
assisting in the scientific publishing process
making scientific information available
developing and offering accessible and adaptive services and systems
collecting and analysing KI's intellectual output
The department includes the units
- Information Resources and Publication Support
- Metadata for Scientific Output
- System Development and Methodology.
Head of Department
Department: Operational Support
The department provides effective and professional organisational support to the library's core functions and its management team. The department also acts as part of KI's operational support and has an overarching mission towards KI.
The department provides support in the following areas:
- business planning and monitoring
- collaboration and working environment
- finance, HR and day-to-day administration
- technology support, student IT and digital examination support
- image production
- premises and office services
The department includes the units of
- Technical Support and Image Production
- HR and Finance
- Property Management