Working hours are regulated differently depending on employment and agreement.
Working hours for employed teachers are regulated through the Local Term Agreement, appendix 5, Working hours and work-dependent compensation for teachers.
Technical and administrative (T/A) staff
Working hours for T/A personnel are regulated through Local Term Agreement.
An ordinary work week is 40 hours for fulltime employees.
Saturdays, Sundays and bank holidays that fall on a weekday, Midsummer's Eve, Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve are work-free days. Bridge days (a work day between two work-free days) are also work-free.
Bridge days and half-days
Bridge days 2018
- 30 april
- 11 maj
Shortened work days, half-days 2018
Working hours for full-time employees are shortened as follows:
- 5 januari (Twelth Night), 4 hours
- 29 mars (Maundy Thursday), 2 hours
- 2 november (day before All Saints´ Day), 8 hours
Flexible work hours are between 6 a.m. and 7 p.m., with a core period between 9 a.m. and 3.30 p.m.
The lunch break is between 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. A lunch break must be at least 30 minutes.
The maximum flexitime debit is ten hours and flexitime credit cannot be greater than 20 hours.
Flexible working hours are regulated by the Local Term Agreement, appendix 2.
Use the Fleximaster template if you need to report flexitime.
Additional hours and overtime
The hours between a halftime and fulltime job are referred to as additional hours (mertid).
Overtime must be ordered ahead of time. Overtime can be simple or qualified. For 15 minutes or less there is no compensation.
Additional hours and overtime are regulated through the Local Term Agreement.
Supplement for inconvenient working hours
A supplement (OB-tillägg) is paid when regular working hours are during inconvenient/unsocial times, such as nights and weekends. Hours that are considered inconvenient are regulated through the Local Term Agreement, Appendix 4.
Inconvenient hours are compensated as simple, qualified or incremental OB.
The total amount of OB supplements are summed up each calendar month and rounded off to the nearest half hour.
When you are on call you are obliged to be at your employer’s disposal during work-free hours. When on-call you must be available by phone and if called to duty able to go directly to your workplace.
Daily and weekly rest time is regulated by the Swedish Working Hours Act.
Veterinarians have their own local collective agreement that regulates on-call duty.
On-call duty is regulated through the Local Term Agreement, Appendix 7.
- Local term agreement at KI (pdf, 379.53 KB)
- Local Term Agreement appendix 2 - Flexible working hours (docx, 47.73 KB)
- Local Term Agreement appendix 3 - Irregular work according to schedule (docx, 46.29 KB)
- Local Term Agreement appendix 4 - Unsocial working hours compensation (OB supplement) (docx, 46.88 KB)
- Local Term Agreement appendix 5 - Working hours and work-dependent compensation for teachers (docx, 52.76 KB)
- Local Term Agreement appendix 6 - Agreement on working hours for employees at animal facilities (docx, 47.33 KB)
- Local Term Agreement appendix 7 - Agreement on on-call duties (docx, 49.2 KB)
- Annual working time 2019 (pdf, 13.3 KB)
- Working hours schedule 2019 1 week (pdf, 13.27 KB)
- Working hours schedule 2019 2 weeks schedule (pdf, 14.89 KB)