The ISP-system, a digital tool for individual study plans for doctoral students
Implementation of the system will be done gradually. The following four institutions will be included in a pilot: Dept. of Clinical Neuroscience, Dep. of Neurobiology, care Sciences and Society, Dep. of Women and Child health and Dep. of Medicine, Solna. It's only the new PhD students who are involved at this stage.
Why has the time plan been modified?
The project has received feedback indicating that the organization is already strained, in part because of the introduction of Ladok3. In addition, the new admissions process that has been introduced has led to changed operating procedures for the Departments. In order not to create further stress or concerns about the implementation of the ISP system the decision has been taken by the Steering Group on an adjustment of the plan for the introduction.
A gradual implementation also provides additional opportunity to test the quality and functionality of the system as well as the development of tutorials and support functions, before the remaining doctoral students are entered into the system. The Department of Women and Child health, Department of Medicine, Solna, Department of Clinical Neuroscience and Department of Neurobiology, Care Siences and Society will start as soon as possible to use the ISP system. All concerned will receive training and tutorials to get a smooth introduction.
A decision on when the remaining Departments should start using the system will be made and communicated during the beginning of 2019.
Background to why the system shall be used at KI
According to the Higher Education Ordinance every doctoral student should have an individual study plan that is decided in consultation with the doctoral student and his or hers supervisors. In order to improve the quality of the individual study plans and to give a better support to all involved in the individual study plans, the Board of Doctoral Education has decided that KI should use a digital management tool, the ISP-system.
About the ISP system
The system is based on a form filled in by the doctoral student and the principal supervisor. The form becomes available as a study plan in pdf format. The study plan is reviewed and approved electronically in the system and the form will be locked for editing at the time of approval. When the study plan is in need of revision, the principal supervisor opens a new version of the study plan which can be edited and there after approved.
The ISP system is web-based and therefore also accessible outside KI's network.
Some of the forms currently used when writing and revising individual study plans will be discarded or revised when KI switches to digital management of study plans.
The ISP system improves the handling of individual study plans by for example:
- ensuring that correct users are involved in the approval of a study plan.
- sending an email when a user has a study plan waiting for approval.
- including a message log where users can write messages to each other. A director of doctoral studies can for example write a message to a doctoral student with information regarding necessary improvements before the study plan can be approved, when returning it to the doctoral student.
- sending an automatically generated reminder to the doctoral student and principal supervisor when it is time for the annual review.
- retrieving data on finished courses and transferred credits from Ladok.
- providing the most recent study plan and previous versions electronically.
- providing access to all study plans a user has access to, for example, a supervisor has access to all study plans for his/hers doctoral students and a director of doctoral studies has access to all study plans at his/hers department.
Process and procedure
- The doctoral student is admitted to the doctoral education at KI. The admission is registered in Ladok by the department administrator
- Department administrator assigns roles to the doctoral student and supervisors.
- The principal supervisor creates the study plan. The doctoral student and the supervisors discuss the content of the individual study plan. The doctoral student and the principal supervisor edit the study plan, co-supervisors can only view the study plan.
- When the doctoral student and the supervisors are satisfied with the study plan the doctoral student approves the study plan, and the study plan enters the approval procedure. When the Director of doctoral education and the department administrator receives the study plant they control that the study plan fulfills the criteria and approve the study plan.
- The last step in the process is the approval by the person responsible at the department to approve individual study plans (most commonly the Director of doctoral education).
|November- December 2018|| |
Department administrators, Directors of the doctoral education, principal supervisors and newly admitted doctoral students from the four starting Departments will be offered training in the ISP system. When everyone in the workflow has received training, doctoral students and supervisors can start using the system.
|Spring 2019||Training/workshops will be held for Department administrators, Directors of the doctoral education, principal supervisors and newly admitted doctoral students in preparation for that all Departments will start using the system.|
All concerned staff from NVS, KBH, CNS and MedS will be offered training during 2018. Thereafter, training will be given to each Department depending on when they will start using the ISP-system. We aim to give the training as close to the starting point as possible.
User guides and forms
Here you will find user guides, checklists and application forms for access to the ISP system. Remember to always use the latest version of the user guides.
Marie Sandström Akram
|Marianne Schultzberg||Chair, Dean doctoral education|
|Lennart Nilsson||Vice-chair, Pro-Dean doctoral education|
|Kristina Broliden||Head of department, Dep of medicine, Solna|
|Elias Arnér||Director of doctoral studies, Dep of medical biochemistry and biophysics|
|Åsa Nandorf||Object manager, Education support office,|
|Christopher Sönnerbrandt||Head of study administrative unit, Education support office|
|Leif Karlsson||Doctoral student representative|
|Matti Nikkola||Director of doctoral studies, Dep of cell and molecular biology|
|Michael Fored||Director of doctoral studies, Dep of medicine, Solna|
|Jan-Bernd Stukenborg||Supervisor, Dep of women’s and children’s health|
|Anna Sandberg||Educational administrator, Dep of women’s and children’s health|
|Sofia Pettersson||Educational administrator, Dep of physiology and pharmacology|
|Karin Vågstrand||Coordinator doctoral studies, Faculty office and international relations|
|Leif Karlsson||Doctoral student representative|
If you have any questions you are welcome to contact firstname.lastname@example.org.