Study funding for doctoral students

Denna sida på svenska

All doctoral students at KI receive financial support during their doctoral education. It is the responsibility of the Head of Department to assess whether a doctoral student, upon admission, can be ensured financial support during the entire period of their doctoral education.

Different types of funding

Employment on a doctoral studentship is the most common sort of support.

Many doctoral students at KI combine their doctoral studies with other types of employment, e.g. in the healthcare or in the industry. Approximately 35-40 % of the doctoral students at KI had an active affiliation to Stockholm County Council (which are responsible for all publicly–financed healthcare in Stockholm County) in 2010.

Some doctoral students receive external scholarships (which are paid from the financing organ directly to the doctoral student). External scholarships are sometimes combined with complementary scholarships from KI.

Employment as a doctoral student

Doctoral students employed by KI enjoy the same social benefits as other employees at the university.

The salary levels for employed doctoral students is regulated in a local collective agreement.

More information for doctoral students employed by KI

External scholarships

An external scholarship means that KI does not make payments to the doctoral student; instead, the student has funding in the form of scholarships from their home country, home university or a similar source.

KI believes that this type of financing can be a precondition of international collaboration with bodies outside the EU. However, cooperation agreements must also aim to set a reasonable level of funding. To ensure that the financial situation of doctoral students on scholarships is on the same level as other doctoral students, the Vice-Chancellor has established minimum income levels for doctoral students.

More information for doctoral students with external scholarships

More information

Handbook for doctoral students (Swedish Council for Higher Education)

Rules for doctoral education at KI

Higher Education Ordinance Ch 7, 36 §

A higher education institution may only admit applicants to third-cycle courses and study programmes who have been appointed to doctoral studentships or awarded doctoral grants. The higher education institution may, however, admit applicants who have some other form of funding for their studies if it considers that the funding can be guaranteed during the entire period of study and that the applicants can devote enough time to their studies to enable their completion within four years in the case of a licentiate degree or a licentiate degree in the fine, applied and performing arts or eight years in the case of a PhD or a doctorate in the fine, applied and performing arts. Ordinance (2010:1064).


Doctoral students that have questions regarding study funding and insurances during the doctoral educationcan can turn to the administrative officer for doctoral education or human resources manager at their departments. Administrative personnel at the departments can also turn to the HR office at the central administration.

Doctoral educationDoctoral student