Position as Senior Researcher (5 years)
The Board of Research is advertising up to eight positions as Senior Researcher in medical science.
Application period: 20 February - 20 March 2018.
What does the funding entail?
The recipient department will be assigned a framework amount of SEK 1,200,000 per appointment per year for a maximum of five years. The funds are intended to finance full-time positions and are to be used for salaries and overhead costs.
The position as senior researcher is to be appointed on a permanent basis and to commence at one of Karolinska Institutet’s departments not more than twelve months after the allocation decision has been taken by the board. The employment is to be agreed with the recipient department, who are responsible for the salary.
The applicant is to conduct internationally leading research within his/her field. The applicant should have his/her own established research line, and great potential for continuing to conduct research of very high quality.
The applicant is to have been well-published in internationally leading journals in his/her field in recent years, and occupied a prominent place in the list of authors, preferably as senior author. He/she is also to occupy a prominent place in the international scientific community, for example as an invited speaker at scientific conferences, a peer-reviewer of papers submitted for publication or grant applications, a member of an examination board, or thesis supervisor at undergraduate, postgraduate and doctoral level.
The applicant is also to have obtained, as the principal applicant, good, long-term external financing in recent years and must have the potential for obtaining additional financing.
Applicants must have graduated with a PhD or attained a corresponding level of scientific competence after 1 January 2006. Individuals who graduated earlier than 2006 may eligible if there is particular reason for them to claim deductable time, such as in the event of parental leave and sickness. Reason, dates and extent must be clearly specified in the application and verified with the relevant documentation.
How to apply
Applications are to be submitted via the Varbi recruitment system.
The application shall comprise the following documents, written in English:
- A personal letter (uploaded in the recruitment system)
- Application document (to be filled in and uploaded in the recruitment system)
For applicants at Karolinska Institutet there are instructions on how to create a pre-formatted list of publications from the bibliometric database.
Assessment process and assessment criteria
Applications will be assessed in four stages:
1. Assessment of eligibility
2. Prioritisation of the group of applications to be reviewed by external experts
Prioritisation of the approximately 30-50 applicants that will be sent for external review will be performed by an internal panel. The selection will be done according to an overall assessment of applicant's competence and project. Applications sent for external review will have no particular order of ranking and all publications will be assessed.
3. Review by external experts
This review applies two assessment criteria and judged on a seven-point scale:
- Publications. What is the quality of the applicant’s previous publications and other scientific achievements in relation to the phase he/she is in in his/her career.
- Academic studies and research merits. Does the applicant have adequate experience of research, competence and a scientific network and degree of independence sufficient for implementing the proposed project?
- Funding. Has competitive funding been obtained?
- Distinctions. National/international recognition. Has the applicant been invited to hold a lecture or presentation? Taken part in funding reviews?
Scientific quality of project
- Innovativeness/originality. Are there any particularly ambitious or unconventional aspects to the proposal (including multi- or interdisciplinary)? Will it open up fresh perspectives and opportunities for science?
- Goals. Does the project have clear goals in relation to the latest scientific knowledge and techniques in the field?
- Relevance and potential. In what ways is the proposed project important to the field? What impact will it have if successful?
- Viability. Is the proposed project viable? Are the proper expertise, group members and established partnerships available and in place? If relevant, are proposed research methods, infrastructure, equipment and field work appropriate and available? Are the explanation and justification of the chosen method described in a relevant way and in relation to the scientific point of inquiry?
- Methodology. Does the project include the use of new techniques/methods or the innovative application of existing methods/techniques in new fields?
4. Interviews with applicants ranked highest by the external experts
When the external experts' score assessments are compiled into a ranking list, the highest ranked applicants are invited for an interview. About twice as many applicants as there are places are invited.
Interviews are made by an internal panel consisting of chairman and internal KI members. The internal panel's assessment (interview and application) accounts for 50 % of the total assessment score. The internal panel makes an independent assessment and does not have any access to or knowledge of the external experts' assessments prior to the interviews.
The interviews address (assessed on a seven-point scale):
- Applicant's competence (including independence)
- Quality of performed research
- Future potential and financing
The internal review (interview and application) is given a 50 % weighting in the total assessment score.
The Board of Research decides which applicants are to be awarded a position as senior researcher based on the external review and interviews.
After the decision
Applicants rewarded a position by The Board of Research are expected to negotiate the employment conditions with the head of one (or more) relevant department(s) at Karolinska Institutet.
Preliminary schedule 2018
|Application period||20 February - 20 March|
|Stages 1 and 2||March - June|
|Stage 3||June - August|