IT in Biomedicum
On this page you can find information about the IT set up in Biomedicum.
IT costs in Biomedicum
|Type of cost||Amount||What´s included|
|IT Fee||9 900 SEK per year and person.||The IT fee covers the basic IT infrastructure at KI. More details on ki.se/en/staff/it-fee.|
|Computer support||3 200 SEK per year and person.|| |
|Storage||Up to 100 GB per person |
free of charge. Volumes exceeding that will cost 1,2 SEK per GB and year.
|Regardless tool for storage (e.g OwnCloud, fileserver) the service includes best practise storage including backup and restore.|
|0,137 SEK per copy black and white and 0,467 SEK for colour, size A4.||It is a lease and service agreement. The only additional cost is for paper. All other financial and service related costs are included. The equipment is multifunctional handling a variety of printing request in addition to copying and scanning.|
|New computers||Starting at about 7.500 SEK. Please see separate price list below.||The standard offer is a variety from HP or Apple.The offer is designed to meet all kinds of requirements and budgets.|
Today each department is supported by one or a few IT managers, working independently of each other, but in a close collaboration with the central IT Office. From April 1 they will merge with the central IT Office's existing support team.
How will the IT Support work in Biomedicum?
- From April 1, instead of contacting your local IT manager, contact KI’s central IT support at 08 – 524 822 22 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If needed, our technicians can help you on-site.
- During the first two months, there will be extra technicians on-site for your assistance.
- After completion of the move, Biomedicum’s reception desk will be staffed with 1 to 2 technicians from 8:00 to 16:30.
Read more about how KI's central IT Support works.
What will the main differences be to today's IT support?
- Access to the support will be guaranteed during office hours, 8:30 - 16:30 (phone open to 17:00)
- If needed, temporary arrangements can be made to make support available off office hours.
- Today’s setup with one to two persons covering all skills and competences will be replaced with a large team of experts where the current local IT managers will be a vital component.
- All support issues will be documented to be solved in order of importance.
- The documentation will help us see patterns and trends and thereby enable us to solve the root cause instead of just fixing the symptom.
Safe storage is one of the top priorities going forward. Safe storage means that no unauthorised person can get access to data and that data can be recreated if lost due to technical malfunction or if deleted by accident.
There are three ways of storing.
KI Cloud (ownCloud)
A cloud based solution where the servers are hosted within and by KI. From KI Cloud you synchronise data between your hard drive, phone and tablet. It also enables you to share data with colleagues regardless if they are within KI or not.
What can we store in KI Cloud?
KI Cloud is a secure storage where the servers are hosted within and by KI. However, when it comes to sensitive data (such as personal data) we recommend the department file server as this requires VPN connection to be accessed. Read about what to store where on the page Research Data Management.
Each department will have their own server with a structure reflecting the organisation where the unit, group or team can store their common data. On this server there is also space available for each person to save data that is only a concern for one individual.
Another cloud based solution similar to KI-Cloud when it comes to functionality. One important difference is that the data is not stored within KI premises.
Why can’t we bring our own data storage?
Today’s decentralised data storage where a single employee or a team is responsible for the storage, its maintenance and back up will be decommissioned. The equipment serving this purpose cannot be moved to Biomedicum.
The equipment currently used for this purpose do not meet KI’s very high standards for storing data. The importance of safeguarding our research can’t be emphasised enough. KI is under regular attacks from the outside and a safe storage is a key component in protecting our valuable assets.
The Biomedicum moving project is now in the process of identifying and deciding what equipment will be moved. Computers supporting this equipment will have unchanged functionality and the only thing that needs further investigation is how the data produced will be stored.
Biomedicum is designed to host a specific number of central multi task (print, copy and scanning) units which will serve the offices and labs nearby.
The cost will be 0,137 SEK per copy black and white and 0,467 SEK for colour, size A4.
It is part of the IT Office’s responsibility to change toners, and there is an agreement with an external supplier for delivery and execution of the service. The agreement includes refilling toners but not paper.
Will others be able to see my print outs?
Your prints are handled in a very safe and secure way. The only way to access them is to swipe your personal badge at the printer.
Your current computers
You can bring your personal computer to Biomedicum. In order for your computer to function in the network in the new building, the IT Office will have to make some minor adjustments to your computer.
No existing software will be removed from the computers nor will any data stored on the hard drive be erased.
The adjustments include:
- We will join your computer to our central domain. This gives us an opportunity to serve all computers with needed updates remotely and simultaneously. This also means you will log on with your KI ID which gives you access to central systems without separate log on.
- If needed we will change and/or update your virus protection so it’s in best possible shape. An updated virus protection, on each and every computer on our network, is another key component to protect us from the regular attacks we are under from the outside.
- Install a Software Asset Management tool. This tool reports what software is running on which computer. It runs in the background and doesn’t require any skills or operations from the users. It enables us to verify that KI is compliant with our software licence agreements.
- Install KI Cloud so we can start the process of automatically backup files you save on your hard drive. Today too many are saving very important data on their hard drive without a sufficient backup. A hard drive on a personal computer is not considered to be a safe storage.
- The computer will be connected to the department’s file server where you save data which is to be shared with your research group or other organizational affiliation.
- Your hard drive will be encrypted so if it gets lost no unauthorised person will get access to the content.
Once the adjustments have been carried out all users log on with their KI ID. This will reduce the number of logon needed to access other services such mail and intranet.
The operation will require access to each computer for about 30 minutes. IT staff will be present at the departments to carry out the work needed.
After adjusting my computer, will you be able to look into my personal data?
The adjustments do not change the integrity part compared to the current situation. The only information we are gathering are of technical nature in general and what software being used in particular.
Computers in Biomedicum
The support fee for computers in Biomedicum will be 3,200 per year and person. Please look at the price list above for information on what is included in the price.
Is there a limited number of computers per person in Biomedicum?
No, but we encourage people to accept one computer per person. As we have understood that it’s not unusual to have another device for travelling and remote work we accept this “extra” computer without increasing the fee. The only limitations are that on computer number two you can only have software where KI has a campus agreement. And if you decide to buy a new one it has to be one of the standard models if you want to avoid any extra fee.
Can I keep on using my Time Machine?
Time Machine is designed to meet the requirements from a distributed individual management of a Mac-computer. As we are now moving towards a centralised management Time Machine is no longer possible nor needed. All files needed to restore a computer will be safely stored and the responsibility to execute the restoration will be a concern for the IT-support.
“Private computers”, meaning computers that are funded by other means than KI’s, can be brought to Biomedicum. You will be referred to use the guest network and no support is given to this device.
You will not have to do any adjustments to your private computer, but you will not be able to receive any support for the device.
Students and guest computers
Students without a KI ID can log on to a KI computer with their student ID. The students will be able to reach internet but not the department’s fileserver. Systems offered by the library will be available.
Guests joining you for a limited time can use their own equipment. They can access the internet through the guest network.
If they need to use any KI system, print or have access to the department storage we are currently working on finding the best solution for KI.
Ordering new computers
If ordering a new computer before the move to Biomedicum please contact your local IT Manager for further guidance considering specifications and exact prices. The process after the move will slightly change and more information on the subject will come.
The models and prices below are subject to change and will be available prior to the move.
|Model||Operating System||Preliminary prices in SEK|
|HP ProBook430 G5||Windows||7.500|
|HP Elite x360 1030 G2||Windows||16.000|
|HP Elite X2 1012 G2||Windows||12.500|
|HP ZBook15 G4||Windows||22.500|
|HP ZBookStudio G4||Windows||15.000|
|HP EliteBook820 G3||Windows||12.500|
|HP EliteBook1040 G3||Windows||16.000|
|HP EliteOne 800 G2 (Stationary)||Windows||9.000|
|MacBook Air 512 GB||Mac OS||11.500|
|MacBook Pro 13 512 GB||Mac OS||19.500|
|MacBook Pro 15 512 GB||Mac OS||23.000|
|Apple iMac (Stationary)*||Mac OS||Depending on configuration|
* Not yet part of the standard offer but can be ordered with longer delivery time. Prices are depending on configuration. More information can be found in “Wisum”.
The formal decision how IT in Biomedicum should be organized was taken by the steering group for the Biomedicum IT Project. It includes representatives from the departments and the IT Office.
The design of the setup is very much based on the overall KI strategy for how IT should be managed and that is a decision made by the University Board some years back.
|Gustaf Risling||IT Office|