Board of Doctoral Education
The Board of Doctoral Education has overall responsibility for doctoral/third level education at KI.
The board’s responsibilities
The Board of Doctoral Education (FUS) is one of three Faculty boards.
The Faculty boards are responsible within the respective area of responsibility for:
- Operational development
- External monitoring
- Guidelines and rules within the respective area of operations
The Board of Doctoral Education (doctoral education) has special responsibility for:
- Organisation of doctoral (third cycle) education
- Ensuring good preconditions for KI’s doctoral (PhD) students in order to provide high quality education
- Regular follow-up and analysis of needs and preconditions for the doctoral education
- Over all pedagogical development for the doctoral education
- Participation in recruitment of teachers
The above mentioned responsibilities are coupled with a right to:
- Decide on the board’s budget and resource allocation, after consultation with the Vice-Chancellor
- Decide on admission to doctoral education (delegated by the board to the doctoral student’s department)
- Stipulation of subjects together with general study plan for subjects in which doctoral education is arranged
- Stipulation of individual study plans (delegated by the board to the doctoral student’s department)
- Designation of supervisors for doctoral students (delegated by the board to the doctoral student’s department)
- Appointment of examination committee and faculty examiner (delegated by the board to the Dissertation Committee)
- Decide on issuing of degree certificates (diplomas)
- Sign university-wide international collaboration agreements on doctoral education
he Board of Doctoral Education has appointed two committees and a number of steering groups.
The Dissertation Committee shall ensure that the examination regulations are adhered to. The Dissertation Committee checks that the thesis fulfils the formal requirements of the Higher Education Ordinance and KI, that the study plan has been adhered to andthat the ethical guidelines have been adhered to. The Dissertation Committee also appoints the Examination Board, and also the opponent in the case of a doctoral thesis defence, and decides the date and place for the licentiate seminar or thesis defence.
The Course and programme committe establishes course syllabi for all doctoral courses, allocate funding for free-standing courses (i.e. courses that are not arranged within the framework of KI’s doctoral programmes). The Course and programme committee coordinates KI’s doctoral programmes and pursue strategic issues conserning courses and doctoral programmes.
The steering group for KID-funding prepares proposals for decisions regarding announcements and granting of KID-grants. Allocation decisions are taken by the board.
The steering group for CSTP-funding prepares proposals for decisions regarding announcements and granting of KID-grants. Allocation decisions are taken by the board.
All KI’s research schools has a steering group appointed by the board.