I am a biochemical toxicologist by training. My key research interests encompass experimental cancer therapeutics and development of patient-derived model systems for screening of anti-neoplastic drugs.
Post-Doctoral Fellow (2011-2015)
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Ph.D. in Biology (2006-2011)
University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Canada
M.Sc. in Nutrition and Biochemistry (2003-2005)
Central Institute of Fisheries Education, Mumbai, Canada
Main Research Area
- Chemical biology-based approaches in cancer drug discovery
- Development and implementation of patient-derived ex vivo model systems for screening and repurposing of experimental and existing cancer chemotherapeutics
- Safety, pharmacology and efficacy evaluation of anticancer drugs in human
- Redox regulations of mammalian cells in health and disease
Google Scholar: https://scholar.google.co.uk/citations?user=5HBIY1UAAAAJ&hl=en
2017-18: Classroom lecture on “Connective Tissue” in Tissue Biology, an undergraduate course for Biomedicine Undergraduate Program, KI.
2017: Laboratory coordinator for Tissue Biology, KI.
2007-11: Laboratory Instructor for BIOL 224 (Animal Physiology), University of Saskatchewan, Canada
2007: Laboratory Instructor for BIOL 112 (Introductory Biology), University of Saskatchewan, Canada
Academic honours, awards and prizes
- 2017 “Miljömedicinska Priset” (Environmental Medicine Prize) from Cancer-och Allergifonden for meritorious research on the “development of a state-of-the-art organotypic model system of pancreatic cancer for next-generation drug testing”, Sweden. Total award Value – Swedish Krona (SEK) 2,50,000. Press releases – Organization Webpage, Institution Webpage
- 2016 One of the finalists for “Lush Prize”, UK for developing an alternative model to animal experiments.
- 2012 Post-doctoral Fellowship from Cancer-och Allergifonden, Sweden – SEK 220, 000
- 2011 Carl C. Smith Graduate Student Award - Honorable mention for meritorious research on mechanisms of toxicity, Society of Toxicology, 50th Annual Meeting, Washington D.C., USA
- 2006 University of Saskatchewan Graduate Research Scholarship and Teaching Fellowship to pursue Ph.D. Degree in Biology, Canada
- 2005 “Hiralal Choudhury Gold Medal” in the Master’s Program at Central Institute of Fisheries Education, Mumbai, India
- 2003 Awarded Indian Council of Agricultural Research Junior Research fellowship (5th rank in all India) to pursue Postgraduate studies.
Funding (as Principal Investigator)
- 2018-19: Child Cancer Foundation (Barncancerfonden), Sweden – SEK 1,000, 000
- 2017: Cancer-och Allergifonden, Sweden – Total SEK 400, 000
- 2016: Cancer-och Allergifonden, Sweden – SEK 200, 000
- 2016-17: Karolinska Institute – SEK 47,200
- 2015: Cancer-och Allergifonden, Sweden – SEK 200, 000
- 2014-15: Karolinska Institute – SEK 47,200
- 2014: Cancer-och Allergifonden, Sweden – SEK 150, 000
- February 2017: “Development of an organotypic slice culture of pancreatic tumours as an ex vivo model system to study tumor biology and drug testing”. 1st Department of Pathology and Experimental Cancer Research, Semmelweis University, Budapest, Hungary.
- May 2017: Organic selenium compounds: review of current knowledge and research on their combined blend of anti-oxidant, pro-oxidant and antitumor effects. Department of Pharmacology, Karolinska Institute, Sweden.
- November 2017: “Targeting Redox Dysregulation of Cancer Cells by Redox-Active Selenium Compounds”. Symposium on Selenium Chemistry & Biology (SSCB-2017), Department of Chemistry, Bhabha Atomic Research Centre, Mumbai, India.