Per Wretenberg is head of the arthroplasty section, department of orthopedics, Karolinska University Hospital and Karolinska Institute. He is also the head of the arthroplasty research unit. His research is related to hip and knee prosthesis surgery and also biomechanics. Changes in function related to surgery is studied with biomechanical gait analysis as well as with clinical evaluation. In a big project complications in relation to total hip arthroplasty was studied and it was found that the infection rate for this operation national wide was 1.3 % compared to the expected 0.6 %.
Per Wretenberg and his group have also done many studies related to pain treatment after hip and knee arthroplasty surgery. Local infiltration anesthesia (LIA) has been used and the effects and side effects have been evaluated. It has been shown that the use of LIA can lead to high concentrations of anti inflammatory substances in the blood and thereby increase the risk for renal failure. A new routine for LIA has been developed.
A big problem related to elective orthopedic surgery is that many patients are not operated on time due to so called administrative reasons. Usually this means that there is no room for the planned patients at the wards because of many patient with acute injuries. In collaboration with stress researchers a big multi center study is conducted to analyse the effects on the patients who are not operated as planned, both in relation to clinical and psychological effects.
Per Wretenberg is also involved in several other research projects, both clinical and pre clinical in collaboration with Department of Reumatology and Departmet of Microbyology, Tumor- and Cellbiology.
Per Wretenberg has been supervisor for the following PhD students
- Rudiger Weiss: Joint destruction in rheumatoid arthritis. Dissertation 2007-12-14
- Charlotte Karlsson-Thur: Ankle fracture surgery. Clinical and epidemiological aspects. Dissertation 2012-10-12
- Per-Henrik Ågren: Aspects on Calcaneal fractures. Dissertation 2014-05-09
- Viktor Lindgren: Complications after total hip arthroplasty – register based studies on surgical aproach and infection. Samarbete med Svenska Höftprotesregistret i Göteborg. Dissertation 2014-11-14
- Dan Ramsey: The normal and ACL deficient knee. An in-vivo thtee dimensional kinematic and electromyocraphic analysis. Dissertation 2003-01-16
- Lollo Gröndal: The reumatic forefoot. Surgical treatment and epidemiological aspects. Dissertation 2007-02-02
- Arkan Sayed-Noor: Greater trochanteric pain after total hip arthropasty. Dissertation 2008-11-14
- Fatin Affas: Local infiltration analgesia in knee and hip arthropasty, efficacy and safety. Dissertation 2014-05-23
- Anna-Klara Esbjörnsson: Gait analysis in Reumatoid Arthritis. Planned dissertation 15-04-17